Maker Pro
Maker Pro

15W Laser Diode

jimbod

Sep 21, 2018
I have purchased a laser kit with a 15w diode with small fan attached. However when testing the laser the blue beam will light up but it will not burn any wood or paper. The driver board is connected to a 12v supply, I have put a meter on the connection for the fan which shows 7.7v and the outlet for the laser diode showing 4,5v . I have tried various focus lengths with the laser to no avail. Could the driver board be faulty or is it the laser diode. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Jimbod

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
What current is being drawn from the 12V supply?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Be aware that there are some pretty strict laws in Australia regarding lasers and their use.
Penalties can be rather high.
Most I read about cover up to 1mW and you are playing with 15W............
I think you may find it's a bit like firearms and actually covered under the same laws. i.e. illegal to have one unless appropriately licenced and this also covers making your own devices.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
As a person trained as a laser safety officer...

It's actually surprising what it is not illegal to do. However, if it is done in a workplace...

The main consideration is safety. If you place others at risk then you are going to find yourself liable. This is clearly a class 4 device, and I would encourage you to read up on safety precautions for class 4 device.

In Australia you can operate a device if it is class 1 in operation. For things like laser cutters (and this is where my experience is) then you have to ensure that the laser is fully enclosed and have interlocks or other technical means (this may simply be key locked panels) to prevent exposure to the beam.

Visible beams are particularly dangerous to your eyesight because you will automatically turn your gaze toward, and focus on an unexpected flash of light.

I encourage you to read a report by a person who had their sight destroyed by a laser. I'll try to find one. It describes the speed, the feeling, the sound, and the visual experience of the last thing you'll ever see clearly.

A safe enclosure for your laser may be as simple as a transparent yellow acrylic box. BUT you have to be certain of the attenuation of the material at the wavelength of your laser, and ensure that the physical construction prevents direct exposure to the enclosure of a focused beam.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Here it is.

I would like everyone who plays with high power lasers to read this at least twice (maybe once with each working eye).

The following is only funny until you have damaged one eye.

danger_laser_sml-1.gif

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I remember reading this in the 1970s when some of us were involved in "Star Wars" type laser projects. Very sobering. A 15 W green laser is nothing to fool around with, despite not being able to start any fires with it... yet. At the very least, protective goggles are needed that are specific to the wavelengths involved with attenuation sufficient to prevent eye damage. This type of protection tends to be expensive because the goggles do allow visible light (of other than the specified band of wavelengths) to pass virtually unattenuated.

BTW: a 15 W laser of any wavelength, properly focused, should make visible burn marks on wood, plastic, exposed skin, etc. A simple calorimeter-type power meter should be used to verify the laser is working properly and producing the power you think it should. If you know what you are doing, these instruments can be home-made.

jimbod

Sep 21, 2018
Thanks for the info however I do use special laser glasses when I turn on the laser. It was bought to attach to my CNC router to do engraving, I may be missing something as to why the laser does not burn before I send it back to the makers.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I may be missing something as to why the laser does not burn before I send it back to the makers.

I'd say because you don't read what it written.

BTW: a 15 W laser of any wavelength, properly focused, should make visible burn marks on wood, plastic, exposed skin, etc. A simple calorimeter-type power meter should be used to verify the laser is working properly and producing the power you think it should. If you know what you are doing, these instruments can be home-made.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
What current is being drawn from the 12V supply?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
...when testing the laser the blue beam will light up but it will not burn any wood or paper.
Somehow I got the impression this was a green laser diode, not that color or wavelength matters much in terms of whether the laser diode is working or not.

Why hasn't @jimbod responded to @(*steve*) 's question (posted twice now!) in post #2 and post #9? We can't help without information from the original poster. If the laser driver is supposed to continuously power (rather than pulse) the laser diode, then it should draw at least one ampere from a twelve volt power supply. @jimbod should measure the current drawn from the 12 VDC power supply and report back here. And please post a link to the site where the laser diode and driver were purchased. Were any instructions included with the product purchased?

Maybe it's time to close this thread for lack of participation by the original poster?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Maybe it's time to close this thread for lack of participation by the original poster?

He keeps posting on my profile, ignoring my requests he posts here. I don't generally answer questions posted on my profile.