Maker Pro
Maker Pro

1961 Harmony Stratotone Guitar

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Greetings,

I had a go at fixing my dad's old guitar a few years ago and seem to have lost most of the bits. As far as I could tell the pots were dead from corrosion but the pickup was in working order. There was also a component - yellow cylindrical thing, not sure if it was a resistor or capacitor. Everything was old style including the wiring.

Is anyone familiar with the components for this guitar and their values?

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Too cool to restore an old guitar. Please post sharp pictures of the unidentified components to help identification.
Olivier

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Bumping this back into the present - I'd like to do this as a xmas present. Also - if anyone knows where I could get the cream coloured volume and tone knobs that would be great (seem to have lost those)

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
This is all that remains of the internal circuitry. I've managed to determine that the pots are 50K (extremely small writing).

harmonyparts.jpg

The yellow thing appears to be a capacitor. I couldnt get a clearer image of it (any closer and everything was blurred), but the main text reads "SUPERIOR" ",105MFD" (note the comma at the start which I assume is a decimal point) "100V DC"
Theres also a serial number but I'm guessing that doesnt matter.

So I'm guessing this is a capacitor - but does the M stand for milli or micro? Maybe if its still working I wont need to find out but if not, then what would be a suitable part to replace it? Wold any old capacitor of similar value work or would it need to be a specific type (anthenticity of sound does kind of matter a bit here)?

There is also a 2 way switch on the guitar. I cant remember how many contacts it has and I'm not opening the guitar again until I'm ready to complete the project. I'm guessing it might be for phase reversal of the pickup but its just a single coil pickup so why would you need that....

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Made some progress - rebuilt the internals from scratch. Found a lovely forum full of harmony nuts too :).

Using the original capacitor. The pots are dual gang which is all I could get but that doesnt matter (plus it gives you twice the chances to find a good match :p )

h45wiring.jpg

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
And here it is all fixed up (just waiting for the knobs to arrive). Youve been such a wonderful audience :rolleyes:

h45.jpg

p.s. That wiring in the previous pic was ****. I did it again with proper audio cable.