Maker Pro
Maker Pro

2 buttons 2 power supplies, how to trigger one from the other?

GuyManDude

Dec 7, 2022
I have 2 buttons I want to use on an arcade cabinet. One is a power button linked to a PC motherboard that powers the PC on and lights the power button led while it is powered on. Button B will be wired to a pcb to trigger an exit signal. Based on my attached diagram the the power button and led work fine, but I want Button B's led to only come on when the power button is pushed and the PC is powered on.

I know I could do this by wiring both buttons to the 5v LED header on the motherboard, but I'm not sure if there would be adequate power to light both button LED's nice and bright. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to wire them up using a separate power supply for button B?

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Attachments

• 2 button wiring.jpg
    2 button wiring.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3
  • power button wiring.jpg
    power button wiring.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 3

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
but I want Button B's led to only come on when the power button is pushed and the PC is powered on.

I'd say you've answered your own question.

However, if you want it to stay on, you'll need to latch it either with a flip flop or a relay.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
You want one supply to come on after a delay after the button is pushed?

charge a waste cap from the power and thatll delay it getting to the power supply, u need to put it under a big discharge, then it makes it last longer under the low load required to short from the power supply. (but u have to add a load to the power supply input, hopefully it can still take it.)

Its a bit tricky but u want to see the circuit?

GuyManDude

Dec 7, 2022
I'd say you've answered your own question.

However, if you want it to stay on, you'll need to latch it either with a flip flop o
You want one supply to come on after a delay after the button is pushed?

charge a waste cap from the power and thatll delay it getting to the power supply, u need to put it under a big discharge, then it makes it last longer under the low load required to short from the power supply. (but u have to add a load to the power supply input, hopefully it can still take it.)

Its a bit tricky but u want to see the circuit?
Thanks for your thoughts. I don't need a delay, I just would like Button B to only be lit when the power is on. I was also curious if it can done with each button can having its own power supply.