Maker Pro
Maker Pro

2 hard drive-related questions for PC part-replacing project.

Yeah Boi

Mar 24, 2018
Hello everyone ! Sorry if this is not the right forum.

Here they are:
-Can one replace a desktop's SATA HDD with a laptop SATA HDD ? I remember reading about power issues, but I don't remember well enough.
-Can lower-storage SATA HDD be faster than higher-storage SATA HDD? For example, 160GB to 500GB ?

If I don't say it when someone answers, thank you very much.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi, you certainly can replace a 3.5 with a 2.5 SATA HDD. As long as your PC has SATA cables. Years ago power was an issue as PC HDDs had seperate power cables.
Speed is dependant on the HDD. Not necessarily size.

Martin

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Can one replace a desktop's SATA HDD with a laptop SATA HDD ?
Definitely yes. You will need an adapter fore securely mounting the SSD if you use 3.5'' hard disk slots in the desktop. No adapter required if the desktop has built-in 2.5'' slots.
Can lower-storage SATA HDD be faster than higher-storage SATA HDD? For example, 160GB to 500GB ?
They can, but they probably won't. Look up the specs of the hard disks in question.
A 160 GB harddisk is probably comparatively old (I doubt hard disks that small are available new at ll). Newer models may incorporate larger caches and thus "feel" much faster. A compromise for speed, capacity and price are SSHDs: hard disks with a small SSD cache (but larger than the DRAM cache of standard hard disks).