Maker Pro
Maker Pro

2 SWITCHES TAPPED FROM 1 SOURCE

changeofficial

Oct 10, 2022
I am trying to tap 2 independent switches for my fog lights and DRL's which has different relays. 1 switch is to power the relay for the fog lights and 1 switch is for the relay for the DRL. I wanted to know if it is okay to merge and tap on a single source for the switches. I read that the power needed for the relays should not exceed 700mah. I am planning to tap from the cig lighter. If its okay to do this, will it not have any impact on each other? Will the fog lights turn on if I switch on the DRL? I am new to this so please help me. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• WIRING DIAGRAM.png
    WIRING DIAGRAM.png
    16 KB · Views: 10

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
You can get into more strife than Flash Gordon by fiddling with auto wiring without knowing what's involved.
It's not as straighforward as you may think.

Best place to start is to get a complete wiring diagram for your particular vehicle.
Be cautious here also as there can be many variations based on your country versus others.

changeofficial

Oct 10, 2022
I understand that, I am wiring the DRL and fog lights independently and fused which should be protected, I just wanted to know if I could wire separate switches for the separate relays from a single source just to turn on the relays.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Follow my earlier directions as you may intruduce feedback into the system and end up with some really weird outcome.
Auto wiring is mostly earth return but there are exceptions and combinations of both.
Can get really complex around headlight wiring if you don't know what you are doing.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
What make/model of car?

Are you fitting new lights or are they factory installed?

LED or halogen?

I should be able to draw a wiring diagram for you.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
You say the DRL and fog lights are already independently switched?
You want to turn on both relays with a single switch?.
It is illegal to have fog lights on without foggy conditions. Also, fog lights only work (deliberately) when main lights are on, not with DRL.

Martin

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The relays (coils) will 'take' whatever they require to work which is usually around 150-200mA. Two would take double this of course and taking that voltage/current from the accessory socket is perfectly ok. You are correct to fuse the supply cable to the switches/relay coils and a 2A fuse will suffice, it really depends on the cable you use as the fuse protects the cable and nothing more.

changeofficial

Oct 10, 2022
The relays (coils) will 'take' whatever they require to work which is usually around 150-200mA. Two would take double this of course and taking that voltage/current from the accessory socket is perfectly ok. You are correct to fuse the supply cable to the switches/relay coils and a 2A fuse will suffice, it really depends on the cable you use as the fuse protects the cable and nothing more.
thank you so much, this is the answer I was looking for, I installed them and they are now working perfectly except the light from the switch I installed does not light up. it should be the same as a 3 pin toggle switch. Any idea how to fix it? Probably a lose wiring? both DRL + DRL switch and fog lights + fog lights switch are working now except for the light on the switch... is it possible that the fuse I installed is too low?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Show a pic of the switch and/or tell us the make/model. It's probably a simple wiring issue.

changeofficial

Oct 10, 2022
Show a pic of the switch and/or tell us the make/model. It's probably a simple wiring issue.
It is a vw golf mk6 2012 model. This is my switch. Yellow is tapped from cigarette lighter wire. Red is going to relay acting as switch for the relay, and black is tapped on the cigarette lighter brown wire.

The cigarette socket has 3 wires on it, the middle is positive, one thin wire I figured is a wiring for the acc light, and the other one is for ground.

1665529807186.png

Last edited:

changeofficial

Oct 10, 2022
It is a vw golf mk6 2012 model. This is my switch. Yellow is tapped from cigarette lighter wire. Red is going to relay acting as switch for the relay, and black is tapped on the cigarette lighter brown wire.

The cigarette socket has 3 wires on it, the middle is positive, one thin wire I figured is a wiring for the acc light, and the other one is for ground.

View attachment 56525

Is it possible that my negative wire is not attached properly? I have reason to believe it may be the case. I just wanted to know before I begin disassembling stuff again. Thank you.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Do you have a link to the technical datasheet for that switch? I'm GUESSING that red/black go to the supply and yellow is the power line to the device you want to control. But that's just a GUESS - without the data there's nothing else to add.