Maker Pro
Maker Pro

2 VCRs both eating tapes

elsquared67

May 22, 2021
I just bought two VCRs (different models, from different sellers) because the two units I already had finally failed. But the new units are both eating tapes, and they were each advertised by the sellers as being fully tested and operational. Here's what happened with each machine. A store-bought tape plays for about a minute, then stops and the machine shuts off. Turning the machine back on ejects the now-eaten tape. Using a brand-new (still sealed) blank tape, machine records for about 10 seconds then shuts off. Power back on, tape (also eaten) ejects. Using my "home recorded" tape, does the same thing....plays 10 seconds, shuts off, etc. (First VCR is a Toshiba, second is Phillips/Magnavox.) The Toshiba still has my tape stuck in it, and I can't power the unit on to try and get the tape out. My next step is to use another unit I have - which I know works fine - and see what happens. The cable TV box uses an HDMI connection, but I have the appropriate converter, and I've never had this problem. And thoughts/suggestions? (I have a large collection of classic films on VHS, so stopping use of VHS is just not an option.)

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Many of those VCRs used small rubber belts to operate some of the mechanism and they can fail due to rubber deterioration from aging.
You would need to open them up and look for any broken belts that need replacing.

You might consider converting all the tapes to DVD with a DVD recorder.

elsquared67

May 22, 2021
Many of those VCRs used small rubber belts to operate some of the mechanism and they can fail due to rubber deterioration from aging.
You would need to open them up and look for any broken belts that need replacing.

You might consider converting all the tapes to DVD with a DVD recorder.

As I said, not having a VCR is not an option....my collection numbers 400 films, at least. Converting just 2 films a day, every day, would take over a year to complete.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Sounds like the take-up spool drive is slipping. As Crutschow says, that's most likely due to rubber deterioration (if friction wheel drive) or belt stretching. For belt drive you may be able to effect a temporary cure using ordinary rubber bands, but new compatible belts should be available.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
. But the new units are both eating tapes,

The most common reason is the same as for a cassette tape player
Dirty capstan rubber roller and the tape sticks to it and gets chewed up
If not that, then one of the other suggestions noted above