Maker Pro
Maker Pro

3.5mm Jack Plug Thread?

Arnak

Apr 1, 2011
Hi Folks,

Here's an unusual question for you.:p

What thread is used on the 3.5mm jack plugs and sockets to hold the sleeves on with?

The reason I ask is that I wish to fit the sockets into a metal tube and do away with the cover as there will be a tilt switch in the tube.:cool:

Thanks,

Arnak

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
I'd say it depends on the make and model of the part. Some aren't threaded at all.

Arnak

Apr 1, 2011
3.5mm Thread.

Hi Raven,

Darn, that's a nuscience.:eek:

I checked with my taps and a thread book but can't find anything to match it.:(

I guess I'll just have to bodge it, I can do bodging really well.:D

Thanks anyway for the advice.

Arnak

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
Measure it. You can get a rough estimate by using a rule. Measure the outside diameter of the thread and the thread's pitch (distance between threads). That will tell you the thread size. For the US/British thread sizes, you'll need to convert pitch to threads per inch (just take the reciprocal of the pitch). To be careful, also make sure it's a 60 degree thread. Besides a thread pitch gauge, one of the best tools for measuring pitch is a 20X Dumaurier Micro-mike, but few people have such a device.

There are thousands of threads that have been used that aren't in the handbooks. The handbooks just typically list the ones that some standards body has promulgated or that have found wide use in industry.

Note that for short threads (i.e., lengths of engagement), you can often substitute a metric pitch for a US/English thread and vice versa. For example, I once made a lens adapter for a Canon camera I have and I was able to turn an English thread (32 tpi IIRC) on the piece because my lathe doesn't have metric threads; this short thread worked just fine with the metric thread on the lens.

Arnak

Apr 1, 2011
Thread size.

Hi daddles,

Thanks for the advice,:)

I am quite surprised that it isn't a standard thread for those items.

Having measured it I found it to be an odd size, approx 0.385", somewhere around a 9mm metric would be an equivelant?

As you hav esuggested I'll have to bodge it somehow as it seems a non standard thread.:eek:

Or make a tap from silver steel perhaps?:p

Arnak