Maker Pro
Maker Pro

3 jumper pinouts on R3 Arduino Uno

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
There are 3 pinouts that look like bridge connectors. There are 3 of them next to the SDA-SCL pinouts on the edge of the board. Do I need to jump these for the SDA-SCL to operate, or what are they used for?

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

You must have a clone, as the origenal does not show the jumpers:
Arduino uno R3.front_858x644.jpg

Arduino Uno R3 SMD_1000x750.jpg
Can you show your version?

Bertus

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
The 2 images are the same..except the colorful "UNO" tag... duh!! I got the clone... though!
Anyway the top of the image on the left side of the pic, right above the AREF reference pinout there is a set of 6 pins that look like jumper setting to me. I can't find any data on them, what they do, or why they are there.
The bottom 2(the ones closest to the AREF tag, are next to the SCL and SDA pinouts that I need to use with the I2C adapter on the 16x2 LED display. I was wondering if I am having trouble beause I need jumpers on them to put them to make them SDA and SCL pinouts?

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
too much microscope eye.... misst the big chip again... just like the big sign at the door. ...... this clone allows me to swap out the chip for different works, it is focused primarily on wireless and IR sensors and controls. I still need to know whether the jumpers need to be there for the SDA and SCL to work as digital because the analog SDA and SCL pinouts are identified as Pin A5 and A6 also.
I guess what I want to know: >>> is the I2C is digital or analog and which pinouts should I use?

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
This should help

The Full Arduino Uno Pinout Guide [including diagram] (circuito.io)

Arduino Uno Pinout - ICSP Header
ICSP stands for In-Circuit Serial Programming. The name originated from In-System Programming headers (ISP). Manufacturers like Atmel who work with Arduino have developed their own in-circuit serial programming headers. These pins enable the user to program the Arduino boards’ firmware. There are six ICSP pins available on the Arduino board that can be hooked to a programmer device via a programming cable.

5274d2a790f9655bebf2fe3e1c2207624acb0dbb_arduino-uno-pinout-icsp.png

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
nice personal tag! "Never ask a retard directions...."

So I am glad I asked, thank you very much for this data which I probably couldn't have gotten anywhere else than the incredible ELCTRONICSPOINT FORUM !! (like the tag? I knew you would...)

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
Now I see a small problem with your post after checking, and rechecking to make sure of all this......
You will notice on Bertus post that the two boards are different in a big way, and following what you said, THERE IS AN ICSP PORT ON THE OTHER END OF THE BOARD, so my question is WHY - would they put 2 - I repeat two - ICSP ports on the board?
AND
do I need to install a jumper on the pins that you say are not labled "ICSP" to get the REV 3 to data and clock through the digital pins A4 and A5?
Heh Heh!!!!

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
Why would I want to flash the USB bus, and change its operation...?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You will notice on Bertus post that the two boards are different in a big way,
Why don't you post an image of the board you have, instead of having us wonder about board configurations that possibly do not apply to your board?

Why would I want to flash the USB bus, and change its operation...?
You don't flash the "bus", you flash the controller. Somehow the code for operating the USB needs to be programmed into the controller. That can be done using these pins, as far as I understand. You may also use these same pins to update the code for the USB controller e.g in case it has been corrupted or needs an upgrade (error correction). Admittedly something the typical user never will do. But it is good to have the required pins readily accessible on the board instead of having to fumble for making the connections to test points or ic pins if there were no pins provided.

Personally I'm not aware of any Arduino UNO compatible board where you would have to put jumpers in place to operate the board.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
ok, so you don't think the pinouts are for jumpers that enable the protocol for the clock and data system...?

I know that the board says SDA and SCL on it. I just cant find any written confirmation about board configuration.
Its a simple system for simple things, and SCL and SDA are considered simple I guess,, I'm just supposed to know.

I remember some discussion that went like this;
"try it, if it works ok, if it doesn't, there's probably a jumper somewhere that enables it..."

All fine and dandy at 39.99 a pop that trial and error stuff in electronics leaves burn scars sometimes!

I don't want to blow this one up, if you know what I mean! I will keep looking, there is probably an answer there somewhere.