Maker Pro
Maker Pro

30vDC to power 3 12Vfans

aegis1980

Aug 6, 2012
Hi all,

Really need some help from someone.

I have a power supply that is giving me 30vDC and I need to run three 12v computer fans off it. I am not sure what current can be drawn from supply but I cannot imagine its a great deal. Is this just a case of putting a ammeter across it to find out?

Could someone give me a clue on how to start going about dropping from 30v to 12v? I have looked into it and think I need to be looking at a DC-DC converter, but I gather there are a number of different types.

School was a while ago and I forget how currents 'work'. Can I use any old DC-DC converter I find on the internet, or do I need to consider current. The DC-DC converters I have found generally quote a max amperage of 1 to 2A. Is this irrelevant? The fans are rated as 0.15A.

Thanks to anyone and everyone in advance.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The DC-DC converters I have found generally quote a max amperage of 1 to 2A. Is this irrelevant? The fans are rated as 0.15A.

In this case as long as the converter can handle in excess of 0.15A times the number of fans, yes it's irrelevant...

The supply Amperage is relevant since you don't know that, it has to be in excess of whatever is connected to it...

You can get cheap DC-DC converters all over Ebay that will work just fine for this application, only one needed to drive all three fans...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-HRD-C...ltDomain_0&hash=item51a08d2e75#ht_3283wt_1397

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
If the fans are the same, just try the three in series. Each will then have 10V.

aegis1980

Aug 6, 2012
Close out - done!

Thanks to the two of you who replied. I went for the step-down option - bought a similar one to that advised from e-bay.

Have wired it all up this morning with fans in parallel off the step-down and seems to work sweet, so thanks. In hindsight, could have gone with the series option.

Figured I cannot contribute anything knowledge-wise to forum, my being so green, so least I could do was tell anyone wanting to do the same that it works as expected.

Thanks.