Maker Pro
Maker Pro

400 Hz Extension Cord

ICGengineerTech

Aug 15, 2012
Does anyone know where I can find an extension cord (standard 3 prong 115VAC wall type outlet, one prong is the ground)? I could make one myself but I don't know the proper shielding required or gauge. Basically I wouldn't know what type of wire to order. Does anyone know a good source with that info? Thanks.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Contact the Belden or Alpha Wire website, tell them your application and ask for a recommendation. I work a lot of 400Hz aircraft electronics, they've been pretty helpful
to me.

ICGengineerTech

Aug 15, 2012
Thanks for the ideas

Belden doesn't do extension cords and Alpha seems like the engineering department is always out to lunch... or at least away from their phones. I think I found a solution that will accommodate out needs. Since we don't deal with too much current on the 400HZ line we got a heavy duty extension cords from Low's and marked it for 400 HZ gear only. The outlet (and extension cords) outlet are standard 3 prong American wall outlet style.

ICGengineerTech

Aug 15, 2012
Just a quick wrap up on this little number. I ended up just using a simple 12' household extension cord. The end has the outlets, one on one side and two on another side of a rectangular block. We only use one outlet so I covered one on one side and one on anther with a strip of red duct tape wrapped around the block. I wrote "400 Hz" real big on both sides of the block and voila!

I knew that was all I was going to do if it didn't need anything special. :D Thanks for the help.