Maker Pro
Maker Pro

4017 Counter - Increments of 5. Electronics help needed. Simon Says using PIC?

Oatamelian

Mar 9, 2013
Hello, I'm doing A-Level Electronics at the Maelor School in Penley. For Module 6 we must design a "Simple Game". I have chosen "Simon" as its a fairly easy concept to grasp. I can happily program the PIC chip but doing a scoring system has been rather difficult.

I have found a 4017 timer which is a counter that accepts clock pulses to do a sequence using its 10 outputs. e.g.

Clock Pulse 1: Output 0 is High
Clock Pulse 2: Output 1 & 0 is High
Clock Pulse 3: Output 2,1 & 0 is High

etc etc

I want to make it so that 1 clock pulse only happens every 5 clock pulses from my 16F84

So my 16F84 chip will give have to give 5 clock pulses before 1 clock pulse goes through on the 4017.

I'm making the Simon Says game as Basic as I can. I've got the 4Pins on PORTB (8bits) (RA0-RA3) connected to the LED's and then (RA4-RA7) on PORTB connected to 'Push To Make' buttons. PORTA (5bits) I was planning on using to count the current score. I'm using a Bargraph Display to show the score, where each light equates to a score of '5'.

The 4017 would count the 10 LED's (Max score 50, I can't get that far on Simon so it should be high enough) BUT I need a separate counter to count 5 pulses from the PIC chip and then send 1 clock pulse to the 4017 counter.

Can I program the PIC chip to only send 1 clock pulse every 5 correct guesses in the programs sequence?

OR

Is there a component that can do this?

I will program the PIC chip to delay resetting the 4017 for up to 30seconds after gameplay has finished (the player has got the pattern incorrect) as I don't plan on having the PIC remember the high score. The user can just turn it off and on again to reset.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You can certainly program the micro to send a pulse only for every 5'th correct game.

Bob

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
As bob said programming the PIC is the easiest way, and the way to go... But if you want to tinker and play around you can pulse the PIC into a 4015 and tie the 5th output to reset and to the input of the 4017 to divide by 5...