Maker Pro
Maker Pro

5.5KV Neon Sign Transformer for Tesla Coil is being weird. Please help!

Cookieworks

Nov 22, 2011
Ever since I got this thing, I've been wondering why it does this. First of all, it is a small NST, not one of the big metal cased whatsits that Tesla Coilers use so frequently. Well, anyways, I turn it on and get the normal arc thing... the only catch is that the wires have to be close enough together to arc. If they're not, I cannot move them together to get the arc. Also, after the arc has been broken, the only way to get another is to turn the NST off and back on again. So, what I've found is that when the circuit breaks, there is no way to fix it. Is this a safety mechanism? If so, how do I go about fixing it?
Thanks!
-Cookieworks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There is a possibility that the transformer is arcing internally (and that would not be a good thing)

Cookieworks

Nov 22, 2011
Well, I know that it isn't arcing internally. I have taken the trans apart and looked at it. It is simply turning off. Simple as that. It probably has to do with the driver, but how do I stop it?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
If the "transformer" is small and light, it is probably actually a switching power supply. The arc most likely activates a current limit shutdown. Are you using the "transformer" to charge capaciitors? If so, maybe a little (more?) resistance between the power source and capacitors would do the trick.

Bob

Bradley

Mar 17, 2015
If it's not the old block style NST it's probably got a GFI safety switch in it.

Bradley

Mar 17, 2015
Thank you, that's the 2nd time I did it lol I'm new and still learning the site. I just happens to see the post and replied.

Thank you
:)