Maker Pro
Maker Pro

5050 RGB Light Controllers.

Martyn Ball

Jan 2, 2016
Hey guys, I have purchased a couple of controllers now which all come with a cheap little remote, however the remote always seems very temperamental and doesn't always work.

I have modified the circuit very slightly however, but to only extend the cables and change connectors. Currently I have got this controller. It appears to be the same for all the others, this is what I have got now with the modifications I have made:

n26QfUt.jpg

As you can see I have extended the IR sensor a bit, could this be the problem with my remote not working very often?

Is there any 5050 RGB LED controllers you would recommend, they need to be small however due to this going on my motorbike, im encasing the circuit board in resin once it works.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The remote 'issue' is probably down to the buttons being somewhat 'crappy' rather than the remote electronics themselves. Moving the IR LED shouldn't make any difference given the length you've used.

If you only want to select a couple of colours/patterns I'd suggest putting the original remote into a small box with some decent buttons hardwired to the remote instead.

Martyn Ball

Jan 2, 2016
What I would like really would be a small knob I can turn which will change the colour, but small enough to maybe house within a handlebar mount.

So something like this, so I would have the controller, then just wire in a smaller knob.
dc-12-24v-knob-touch-switch-rgb-led-controller-for-3528-5050-rgb-led-strip-11.jpg_640x640.jpg

It's mainly the circuit I need, and it being small. I can worry about wiring in a smaller knob.