Maker Pro
Maker Pro

50w rms into 8 ohm load amplifier circuit using single dc power supply

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Absolutely. It always makes good sense to perform a MONTE' especially when designing a totally discreet circuit for you never know what may be lurking to catch you out.

The last couple of days I've been designing a circuit where I needed to work to ensure I'm staying inside the SOA for some components. Given that there is a significant possible range of values such as Vgs(th) I needed to do just that to ensure the circuit will not only continue to work, but won't self destruct with an unfortunate combination of parts. I'm not sure I'd ever see the extreme cases, but it's comforting to know that operation is somewhat guaranteed.

I don't do this all the time, but sometimes you really need to.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
It always pays to design for worst case. Which should include an appreciation of the limitations of the components you hope to use.

Edit: Another useful tool is the Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) which forces you to analyse your design in minute detail and to try to predict what might happen if a component fails and what its effect might be on the rest of the circuit.
Almost every time I performed one, it resulted in a modification of some kind. They can be quite tedious but in the long term can save a lot of embarrassment and preserve job security.
The analysis process is also a good starting point when you come to write up your design and develop any necessary set up and test procedure.

Last edited:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I don't do this all the time, but sometimes you really need to.
Well, if you are in the somewhat fortunate position of designing something that will be replicated in million-lot or greater quantities (cell phones come to mind), you really do need to. Recalls (like paybacks) are really expensive.