Maker Pro
Maker Pro

54.6v 2a SMPS got shorted

zirawy

Feb 28, 2022
I m a learner.My 54.6v 2a smps got shorted in connection to 48v , lion battery . its led turned red and its output went higher to 100+v now. anybody guide me to reduce and reestablishing its original 54.6v back ?
i have its circuit board pic..if needed.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
There should be basic smps repair tutorials online.
Have to tried any of those?
Do you have test meters?
Do you have any electronics knowledge/repair experience?
Smps units are not for the uninitiated.

zirawy

Feb 28, 2022
Do you have test meters?

zirawy

Feb 28, 2022
I'm a beginner, I know metering, testing, rate reading different components....
Some tutorial videos suggested use of potentiometers to reduce vdc output…
I understand that on the "schematic" where to solder the potentiometer But & But
on the real world, on "circuit Board" location of some components are different from
the ones in the schematic, way different...!!
Are u skilled in this, can u recommend some guidelines here sir?
I can attach u the 54.6 board...

zirawy

Feb 28, 2022
I m a learner.My 54.6v 2a smps got shorted in connection to 48v , lion battery . its led turned red and its output went higher to 100+v now. anybody guide me to reduce and reestablishing its original 54.6v back ?
i have its circuit board pic..if needed.
Do you have test meters?

Attachments

• 20210926_170451_resize_37.jpg
    20210926_170451_resize_37.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210926_170407_resize_42.jpg
    20210926_170407_resize_42.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 9

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Adding a potentiometer to an already damaged power supply can be very dangerous and should not be attempted.
The fact that it was damaged by a short circuit tells us it’s unlikely to have much (if any) circuit protection. A good SMPS will simply shut down.
Post some very clear photos of the PCB and we may be able to guide you in testing some components.

Martin

zirawy

Feb 28, 2022
Do you have test meters?
Hello,

As @Bluejets said, have a look at a smps repair page.
This is an example of such page:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/smpsfaq.htm

Bertus[/QUOTE
I look at it…
As I said before, I did read a bunch of SMPS troubleshooting and repair analysis, among them one of Texas Inst.
Finally, I came here in this Forum to find somebody guides me directly with his own experience what to modify on
the 54.6 circuit board attached in here.
Adding a potentiometer to an already damaged power supply can be very dangerous and should not be attempted.
The fact that it was damaged by a short circuit tells us it’s unlikely to have much (if any) circuit protection. A good SMPS will simply shut down.
Post some very clear photos of the PCB and we may be able to guide you in testing some components.

Martin
this smps got shorted but it still energized but the voltage output got higher about 86vdc instead of 54.6vdc...

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Not as YOU are.
You miss manors inside this community..

No, it was simply stated as a guide to save some time and effort.
Everyone these days wants the "shortcut route to knowledge".
Let someone else do the hard slog.
It is obvious you have very little experience and smps units can be dangerous to work on in live conditions, especially when there is a fault.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Some tutorial videos suggested use of potentiometers to reduce vdc output…
Since the unit produced the correct voltage before you created the short circuit, there is now obviously a defect within the unit. A potentiometer will not remedy this defect.
You need to identify the defect component(s), then replace them. The link in @bertus ' post #4 seems to contain some good information for troubleshooting - judging by the toc.

You miss manors inside this community..
While @Bluejets sometimes may be very direct, I can see no lack of manners in his replies.
Before criticizing others, give some thought as to what they ask or recommend and why that might be so. Contrary to you, those who have responded so far have quite a history on this platform. We're constantly experiencing new members with little knowledge who in Bluejet's words want the "shortcut route to knowledge" - or simply the "shortcut route" without achieving knowledge.
Lack of knowledge can be dangerous, even lethal when it comes to mains powered components (or even low voltage but high power components). This is when and why we recommend extreme caution or even to refrain from trying to perform a repair by the uninitiated.
Of course one needs to learn to get out of that hole into the realms of the knowledgeable. But dangerous voltages or current are not the best way to achieve that. Imho it is better to do such work under direct guidance of someone experienced who can prevent that you make possibly deadly mistakes.

zirawy

Feb 28, 2022
This smps got accidentally shorted by reversing current from a 48v Lion battery.
After replacing a blown ac fuse. Voltage output, back but higher, about 56v,
instead of 54.6vdc, and the LED light turns solid RED (see pic)
Any tech dude can direct me to. Finish repair it, I will appreciate it ?

zirawy

Attachments

• 20220302_151000.jpg
    20220302_151000.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Could be one or more ICs has been damaged. Without a schematic of the SMPS the chances of a successful repair are slim.

zirawy

Feb 28, 2022
Could be one or more ICs has been damaged. Without a schematic of the SMPS the chances of a successful repair are slim.
You think an IC is out, even the smps is switching and has almost the right dc output 56vdc ?
I m trying to find its schematic and attach here later.
thanks for your time sir.