Maker Pro
Maker Pro

555 Timer, 556 Timer or Atmel micro

scottjge

Sep 3, 2011
Hi to all,

I have a question that I really need some help with. I would like to turn a small DC hobby motor on for a short length of time every so many seconds. I guess that is the correct way of wording it. but I don't know which would be the correct way to go, using a 555 Timer, a 556 Timer or use a micoP to do the job.

What I am trying to do is, make a decoy that is comparable to the Mojo Predator Decoy that is demonstrated on this page,
. It is the device that is on the left side of the screen as shown with both decoys. It can be seen here in actual use in this video around the 26 -29 second slot in the video,
It will be on the right hand side of the screen and looks something like a bird trying to fly up but is caught.

I don't know the exact timing that I need so if I could adjust the amount of time that the motor is on running, and the frequency at which it turns the motor on, it would be really great.

I am having a lot of problems with coyotes around the home and would like to see if I could put the odds in my favour.

Back a while ago it would be no problem for me to do this calculation and make one of these units but after I had my stroke, I just can't seem to do complex problems with math involved so I am asking for your help to guide me.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post and any help or advise that you could give me.

scottjge

J3ff

Jul 11, 2011
@scotjge you write so much, do you have schematic to post so we can solve problem.

scottjge

Sep 3, 2011
No I don't really have a schematic. I am trying to see if I can make project like the bought device on the web. It is just a idea.

Thank you so much for replying to my post and trying to help me.

scottjge

wannabegeek

Aug 17, 2011
Interesting idea but really, killing Coyotes only makes them bread more.

In a Coyote pack, only one pair breed normally, the alphas. When the pack population reduces, then the dynamics change and more pairs will mate and your problem gets worse. Killing them is not a solution. There's tons of evidence to support this.

In fact, Coyotes will keep the feral cat population down and song bird hunting will be better.

Sorry for the lecture...
wbg

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Interesting idea but really, killing Coyotes only makes them bread more.

In a Coyote pack, only one pair breed normally, the alphas. When the pack population reduces, then the dynamics change and more pairs will mate and your problem gets worse. Killing them is not a solution. There's tons of evidence to support this.

In fact, Coyotes will keep the feral cat population down and song bird hunting will be better.

Sorry for the lecture...
wbg

LOL, I don't believe you and I think all the endangered and extinct creatures agree.

Hope you solve your problem either way. I know we hunt coyotes around here and all I use is a call played through a very load speaker. If coyotes or foxes believe one of it's young in the pack is in danger they will come in herds to protect it. Put the beed right between their eyes and you can't miss. GL

I believe any animal is smart enough to think on its own and given enough repetitive bad experiences they will learn to stay out of your hair.

scottjge

Sep 3, 2011
Hi jackorocko,

No there is evidence that heavy hunted coyotes will breed more. I have been doing research on coyotes for some time now and have learned alot about them. The only reason that I want a decoy is to keep their eyes off the shooter. It just increases your odds of not being detected, or so I have read.

thanks to all for your views and advise. Keep shooting them Yotes there jackorocko !

scottjge