Maker Pro
Maker Pro

555 timer circuit

Heeran

Nov 13, 2012
The operation of this circuit is to control my house lights when I am away. I want to switch this circuit on and leave, the circuit will have a light intensity adjustment and a timer adjustment, so when I am away, the lights will come on at the darkness I set and for the duration I set, and it will repeat this function for as long as it is on. The switching of the lights can be done by a relay, but I would prefer the use of an electronic component that has no moving parts but can carryout this function, also a component that is much cheaper then a relay.
This circuit will be supplied via a DC power source, possible between 6 to 8v.
Can you perhaps design a complete and compact circuit ( darkness detector with timer) that will be really affordable to build as I would like to place them in different parts of my house.

Thank you.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
That's a great description, thanks!

And you want the time to be adjustable from 1 hour to 12 hours?

I don't think you'll find any switching option cheaper than a relay. This one is USD 1.26 in 1-up quantities: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/G5T-1A DC5/Z2774-ND/1731474

I assume your light(s) are powered from the AC mains (line)? What is the voltage?

What is the maximum total power you want to control from one unit?

This would be a good job for a microcontroller. A microcontroller would be a lot cheaper, more compact, and easier to change - for example, it would be easy to add a random element to the timer, or make the light turn on and off several times in a night. Anything like that which you can think of would be reasonably easy to implement.

The disadvantage is that there's a bit of a learning curve, especially if you've never done any programming of any kind before. And there is a small initial cost for the device programmer, unless you use something like a PICAXE (http://www.picaxe.com) which just requires a serial cable.

Heeran

Nov 13, 2012
Okay,

The voltage I will be running is 240Vac. The max power is a 10watts bulb.

I am not clued up with micro controllers at all but I am always up to learning. Can you possibly design me a cheap microcontroller circuit that can carryout all the functions, I will build it and get it programed by a professional.

Also can you provide a second design using pre programed components that I can build and will carryout the operation without the need for programing.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
No. I like to help but I know when I'm being taken advantage of!

I think you should have a look at Supercap2F's circuit design, and my code, in the thread I linked to in post #23. Most of what you want is there. There's a list of packages you can use to create your schematic and PCB layout at https://www.electronicspoint.com/resources/list-of-eda-packages.39/. And buy a PICAXE kit and look at their documentation.

We will help if you get stuck. I'm sure it will be an interesting and valuable learning experience! Once you get into microcontrollers, the possibilities are endless!