Maker Pro
Maker Pro

555 timer problem

robertbarron

Jan 17, 2016
The 555 monostable requires a low going edge to "trigger" it. If this signal remains low it will affect the timing since the "threshold" signal is ignored whilst the trigger signal remains low.
I need any simple way to take a low going trigger signal and convert it to a quick down up signal irrespective of how long the initial signal remains low. I have been playing around with simple RC circuits but without an oscilloscope I cannot get one to work.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Use a capacitor on the Trig input, like this:
Short-trigger.PNG

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
The internal trip point for the Trigger input is Vcc/3. The time for the capacitor to charge up to this is approx. 0.4 x R x C. As long as this is shorter than the output pulse (I'd say 25% for margin), the output timing will not be affected.

ak

robertbarron

Jan 17, 2016
The internal trip point for the Trigger input is Vcc/3. The time for the capacitor to charge up to this is approx. 0.4 x R x C. As long as this is shorter than the output pulse (I'd say 25% for margin), the output timing will not be affected.

ak

robertbarron

Jan 17, 2016
Thanks for trying to sort this out - but, as I said in the question, my trigger pulse IS longer than the monostable timed period and I was wanting the high to low transition to change to a high-low-high pulse so the monostable works properly even though the "switch" used kept a low output.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Although my post is brilliant, it is too succinct for its own good.

Alec's post shows a differentiating network capacitor C1 and resistor R2, to shorten a long input pulse into a short triggering pulse. My post describes how to calculate C1 and R2 based on the output pulse width you want to be shorter than.

ak