Maker Pro
Maker Pro

5v - 2A power supply causing damage

Fractus

Dec 31, 2020
I have tried a 5V - 2A power supply on JBL Go and Trust power bank and they are not working now.

Are they damaged?

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Did you connect the powersupply on the input (charge port) of the powerbanks?
You can NOT connect it to the outputs.

Bertus

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The JBL Go is a portable speaker, not a power bank.
Please explain in more detail which devices you connected in which manner. A schematic will be of great help. You don't have to use fancy software for that. Make a sketch with pencil on paper and upload a photo (note size limit is ~ 300 kB!).
Also a more detailed explanation of "not working now". What are the symptoms? Do you notice any visual or audible effects?

Fractus

Dec 31, 2020
Actually, I had an unused power supply 5V 2a and I soldered a micro usb and tried it to charge JBL Go and Trust Urban powerbank and somehow they stopped functioning. I had a reading of 5.37v on the multimeter. What possibly went wrong?!

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
What possibly went wrong?!
5.37 V is o.k. vor a 5 V port. Not too high to fry components if the polarity is correct.
Wrong polarity? You may have swapped plus and minus. Imho the most likely case.
Or the power supply may have a low quality output with overshoots much higher than 5 V which may not show on your meter but can be deadly for the electronics. Which pinout did you use for the micro USB plug?

Fractus

Dec 31, 2020
The polarity was correct, quality of the power supply I doubt, the power supply wire was a bit thick.

I am a newbie what do you mean pinout?

Fractus

Dec 31, 2020
JBL Go is red model (as your link) and Trust powerbank is URBAN.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Did you try to reset the JBL?
Turn the JBL GO on Press and hold the Volume + and the Bluetooth button simultaneously for 3 seconds
The JBL GO will turn off and has now been reset.

Bertus

Fractus

Dec 31, 2020
Hello,

Did you try to reset the JBL?
Turn the JBL GO on Press and hold the Volume + and the Bluetooth button simultaneously for 3 seconds
The JBL GO will turn off and has now been reset.

Bertus

I tried that and also connected another battery but all in vain.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The pinout looks o.k. My guess is that your power supply is bad. But can't say for sure. One would have to analyze the defects and also the output of the power supply.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Are you sure you used the correct connections?
Assuming red = "+" and white = "-" the connections visually do look o.k., cf. here.
@Fractus : have you verified by measuring that the color coding matches the above polarity? Color coding usually is a good indicator, but not 100 % reliable.
Are you sure there is no short circuit between pins 1 (+) and 3 (D+, center)? USB data is 3.3 V only. A short circuit to 5 V may have damaged the electronics (although a well designed circuit should have some sort of protection against this case).

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My guess is that the 5V was connected around the wrong way (pinout notwithstanding). My further guess is that they units have a diode across the power inputs and this has now failed short circuit.

Measure the resistance across the power pins of the dead devices, and if you read 0 ohms both ways, then you have a diode inside to find and replace.

However, the other option is as indicated above. I have a genuine apple charger that killed 3 of my devices before I twigged that it was the common factor.

Fractus

Dec 31, 2020
My guess is that the 5V was connected around the wrong way (pinout notwithstanding). My further guess is that they units have a diode across the power inputs and this has now failed short circuit.

Measure the resistance across the power pins of the dead devices, and if you read 0 ohms both ways, then you have a diode inside to find and replace.

However, the other option is as indicated above. I have a genuine apple charger that killed 3 of my devices before I twigged that it was the common factor.

The multimeter read the red wire is positive