Maker Pro
Maker Pro

5v to 3.3v input on pico

Gabo

Mar 1, 2023
IR Sensor datasheet, part number ?

Regards, Dana.
I don't know. It was a IR sensor from my kitchen to turn on the lights by a wave of a hand. There is no sign on it that refers to a manufacturer or type. I opened it and there is a small print in it. There was also no sign of a manufacturer. The IR receiver component has two things on it. 8559 and Japan.
I want to reuse this because of the nice small case it is placed in

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Next problem for me is to filter the noise from the signal.

What do you mean by "noise"?
Is the electrical signal noisy, meaning random low and high levels and transistions?
Or is the electrical signal o.k., meaning clear low and high levels and transitions but wrong digital codes?
It gives false signals sometimes.
We do not know which signals are considered correct or false. Please supply more detail.

Gabo

Mar 1, 2023
It is just a high/low. Sometimes a random high value comes through. I managed to filter this out by my program to only make a state change when the signal duration is longer than a threshold.
Could this also be solved by hardware?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Most of these sensors are open collector so did you use a pull up resistor on the signal line?
All seems user induced to me.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Could this also be solved by hardware?
You can add a capcitor to the RC divider to form a low pass filter:
1678167179012.png
However, this may cause other issues as the signal at the out (going to the pico) now has a slow edge which may lead to false triggers of the pico' input. If your software "filter" works good enough for you, then keep it.