Maker Pro
Maker Pro

5x7 pcb enclosure?

Majere

Dec 5, 2018
Am looking for a new supplier for 5x7cm pcb enclosures. I have a LOT of these boards, and I was trained that this size/type was a 'standard'. But I can not find any suppliers for enclosures to these, to include a battery compartment. Any pointers or references?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Too non-specific. You don't usually purchase an enclosure 'exactly' the size of the PCB. What controls are required? Inputs? Outputs?

You'd normally only purchase an enclosure for a completed PCB/project rather than 'in advance' for bare boards......

Majere

Dec 5, 2018
It's a chicken-and-egg situation. If I can not find a way/list to reference standard PCB sizes to enclosures, it makes it difficult to design circuits, and/or to purchase enclosures postbuild. I searched quite a few suppliers, but they all key on outside dimensions. All Electronics, Mouser, Okwin, others, even eBay and Amazon. No listing found or way to search by the actual PCB size.

Is there such a reference or POC?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
No listing found or way to search by the actual PCB size.
The only 'standard' size pcb housing I've seen is for Eurocard (100mm x 160mm) - I haven't heard of a 50mm x 70mm standard.

Still, this is, as you say, a chicken/egg situation that could only be resolved if you knew the end-product and the final box dimensions.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Often it is easier for DIY projects, to pick the enclosure you want and THEN pick the PCB size that fits perfectly in it, routing around things like the studs the case is held together with, and that the board mounts to if not slots, and maybe the PCB ends up with some empty space on it too.

Battery compartments are their own thing, I mean exactly what battery? I've seen some with a 9V hatch but not with integral slots and springs for cylindrical cells unless it was a finished product like a add-your-own batteries, USB portable power supply. This is not entirely true, I have seen some with a cylindrical cell bay but more expensive than an entire product that comes in a similar "enough" case.

It might help if you mentioned the budget and if that's high enough, whether you would rather they be metal or plastic is acceptable.

Last edited:

Majere

Dec 5, 2018
HarryA, I like it. No board dimensions, but at that low a price, it is worth a shot. You are right about the 'cute' factor too.

Kellys_eye, yes, there are 'standard' boards. I was taught that in our Army. That is how we ordered and maintained our stockage. And they are often US/Metric combinations, such as these. I just snatched one out, 'PY-5CM*7CM', Grabbing a ruler: 2"x2.75", Grid is A-X, 01-18. Mounting hole spacing are 1.75 and 2.5 inch. Through hole. Seeing your location, it might interest you to know that the UK services use such, I was stationed there for a bit, High Wycombe. I also remember a crown marking on those.

Dave9, I have found quite a few with battery compartments. 9v, AA, AAA, cr2032, etc. As to the lack of power wiring, springs, etc, one adds a battery 'pack', wires it in, and glues in the pack. SOP. But again, with no board sizes, chicken-and-egg.

I am still looking as I have a LOT of these boards. I did find one seller who has the board dimensions. I am working through that site now. PacTec. Hope that helps somebody.

Alternate question: I also used to use glue into the box screw standoffs, and I have a 'superceded' NSN (national stock number) for them. I had issues with the glue not holding, but could be made to work. Anyone have a reference / source for them?

(A stray thought hit me, this would be a nice 'cottage' industry. 3-D design and 3-D print, send prototype to pacific rim for them to manufacture, and sell here, Shame I do not know 3-D)

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
Anything can be spec'd and made... just comes at a cost to tool vs # of units. 3D printing would not be inexpensive, except for the hobbyist who already owns the printer and has time to burn.

I'm not clear on what you mean by "use glue into the box screw standoffs"? I suppose glue works for a prototype, or to seal something to keep eyeballs and meddling hands away from it (or voiding a warranty).

If you just want to glue standoffs into an enclosure, it does not seem very durable unless the standoffs are the same material and your glue is a solvent that welds the two together. Does the exterior of the enclosure need to be *seamless*? If not you can use countersunk holes and flat head screws into standoffs, something like 4-40 or 6-32 are common threads for brass standoffs.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If you are using the 'standard' board for personal projects then 3D printing is probably best but ex NATO stock won't be in common usage anywhere outside ... Well, NATO!

Majere

Dec 5, 2018
To give 'closure' to this thread, I struck out.

Dave9, I do not want glue in standoffs. Bad experiences. But here is a link to what I was referring to... A lot of such products and venders.
https://www.digikey.com/product-det...MIyubn7veJ3wIV01qGCh31SAttEAQYAiABEgJUHvD_BwE

Dave9, another pic for you, of a combined enclosure with battery compartment.
https://www.pactecenclosures.com/product-detail.php?productid=217&seriesid=59&classid=27
This is what I am using now, but not a good fit.

Kellys_Eye. The boards are standard/universal, not just NATO. I stumbled across a lot of pics of the ones I am working with.
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/55236/how-to-make-traces-on-an-universal-pcb
Easily available via eBay/Amazon/etc.

I came across a half dozen discussions of 3-D printers asking others if they would share code sets, etc., for enclosures None for sale though. I think I am going to go the 'router' route, where one uses a router to carve out a piece of wood, and puts on a sheetmetal lid.

Majere

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
If I understand what you're doing, the enclosure with 9V battery compartment plus the adhesive standoffs seems relatively large and expensive just to house a 5x7cm perfboard and 9V battery. You did state it was not a good fit.

I don't know how nice a presentation the case needs to be, but I would have looked into an enclosure like the following and then have a PCB house make proper boards to fit the interior dimensions. It has standoffs built in or some people might just opt for cutouts on the PCB to clear the case closure studs and leave it floating, perhaps with a piece of foam to keep it from rattling around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Projec...ith-9V-Battery-Compartment-KE32-/131944789645

Those cases are probably available cheaper elsewhere... just takes the time to hunt them down. IIRC I bought a few years ago from some electronics surplus site for around $2 each but I can't recall where and being a surplus site they're probably long since out of stock there.

Hammond is one company that makes a few sizes of similar cases but I doubt you'd find their brand for anywhere near $2 each:
http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg8.htm

Last edited: