Maker Pro
Maker Pro

7-segment display numbers not in order.

moonrkr

Feb 22, 2013
HI...! Does anyone knows how to design a synchronized counter using a 7-segment display?
I mean just the general idea. I don't pretend anyone to make the work for me.
I need to show a sequence of numbers not in order. Example: 04120.
I have been looking all over google but the examples are for numbers in order.
I know I need to make a state table, but I put the numbers in the order I want to appear to fill the table or as 0123456789?

Any advice? Thanks! :)

techna

Jan 18, 2013
Am not sure, but maybe you can experiment with the count values that each segment will decrement or increment, or you can give different delays to each segment.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Separate the two tasks.
1) build a synchronous counter.
2) build a decoder to generate the 7-segment code from the counter value.

I need to show a sequence of numbers not in order. Example: 04120
Could you elaborate on that part a bit more in detail? I don't quite get what you intend to do.

Is that a task to be dealt with by a microcontroller? If not, I would move it to the circuit help section. Or the homework section - it sure looks like homework to me.

OddOne

Feb 26, 2013
I would connect the 7 or 8 segments of the 7-segment display to the output pins of the microcontroller with probably some resistors between it. Then write a program to send a voltage to the output pins according to the numbers you want.

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
The easiest way I couldthink of, to get a sequence counter values coming out as a string of stacked number would be to use an old EPROM. The ones with windows can be erased and programmed with whatever sequence you need.