Maker Pro
Maker Pro

78M12 linear voltage regulator alternative

awittyusername

Dec 1, 2016
I have a question... I need to find an alternative LDO linear voltage regulator to a 78M12. I've been using various component sites around the web but they all seem to allow you to search for the electrical specifications of parts but not the physical dimensions too. Is there an easy way to go about this that I am ignorant of? Basically, I need the replacement to have an output of 12V @ 1A and an input Vmax of no less than 30V and an input Vmin of no more than 14V, it needs to be the same form factor and dimensions must not exceed 10% of a 78M12. Basically, the 78M12 just does not have the beans to power what I need it to but the PCB is tight on space. The other components draw ~750mA but I figured a bit of headroom would be beneficial and heat dissipation shouldn't need rethinking as they won't be putting too much demand on the reg. Any suggestions of the perfect part, or place to find it where I can search for it without having 7 pages of results to trawl the datasheets of for the dims, would be very much appreciated!

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
it needs to be the same form factor
The 78M12 comes in various packages. Which one do you mean?
Whichever it is, I doubt you'll find any IC which can dissipate the same power in only 10% of the size :(.

awittyusername

Dec 1, 2016
Oops, sorry - DPAK, and I meant I can't fit anything that is 90% (for the pads) or 110% (for the components around it) the size of the current one; 6.73 x 6.22 x 2.38mm.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I've been using various component sites around the web but they all seem to allow you to search for the electrical specifications of parts but not the physical dimensions too. Is there an easy way to go about this that I am ignorant of?
Some sites which allow parametric searching have the type of package as a search parameter. A bit of googling should identify one or two types which meet your size criteria.