Maker Pro
Maker Pro

8 Switch Switchbox For External DVD Burner

zunebuggy

Jun 9, 2010
I have quite a few desktop PCs and only one external DVD burner. I'd like to create a switchbox that would allow me to select which PC I used the DVD burner with. Commercially I can only find a 2PC to 1USB. I have a 4 port KVM and that didn't work (although I'm not sure why). But 4 wont do it anyway. I need a minimum of a 8PC to 1USB. I know how to solder and I am not a novice on how to wire switchboxes. I am however a novice to USB which I believe has 4 contacts. I don't even know what type of rotary or old radio style selector switches I would buy for such a project. Also I do not know if there is anything special I need to keep in mind when wiring USB. It seems pretty straight forward if I can find an 4P8T??? switch. Yeah that will be easy *sarcasm*... :rolleyes:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Are the computers networked? If so just share the drive and burn at a slower speed so that any network hiccups don't break the burn... If not networked get a router or switch, they are cheap...

Or get a 4 to 1 USB sharing switch, there are automatic ones that can be had for under $20, you 'might' be able to cascade two... There are 8 to 1 switches but they are costly, and when you can get USB DVD burners for about $25 probably not practical...

Google is your friend...

Last edited:

zunebuggy

Jun 9, 2010
Thanks. Actually a friend suggested today that since each PC has XP pro and a couple Ubuntu to just use Remote Desktop and not worry about cables at all. This seemed to make a lot more sense. I'll just use the older smaller monitor on the shelf with the PCs (for BIOS and OS work) and my older laptop that does not take up a lot of room on my desk will remain as the local PC and will be connected to the other monitor. Then I will do as you say and have the DVD burner connected to the laptop and networked.

Thanks again. Looking forward to setting this up this weekend. :D

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
just use Remote Desktop and not worry about cables at all.

I remote desktop to my home PCs all the time from my phone, even for the most basic web browsing it h as it's advantages.... It's become a great tool and I don't know what I would do without it...