Maker Pro
Maker Pro

93C46 Programmer

TheStigP11GT

Jul 26, 2012
I am going to be needing to program and read some 93C46 EEPROMS soon, I am wondering if anyone knows of the diagrams on how to make my own programmer? I don't know if doing it with an Arduino is any good or make it standalone.

TedA

Sep 26, 2011
TheStigP11GT,

If you are starting from scratch, it looks as if Mr. Lanconelli has an excellent set of tools. The hardware is almost trivial, and he has nice PC-based software already done for you.

If you already have an Arduino and expertise in its use, it would not be a bad choice. I expect that someone has already done all the heavy lifting, software-wise, for this platform, as well. If you want to go this way, you might inquire on some Arduino forums.

If you really want to roll your own software, the lancos hardware could be used with your own software.

I think that FTDI, not so far away from you, have USB adapters that could be made to work, as well as drivers for them. This would put your device on a PC. But you would have to write the software, unless you get lucky and find some out there, somewhere.

One consideration, in choosing which route to take, would be what other, future, use you might get from what you did to access the 93C46. Will you have more, different, serial devices to access? The lancos system would be very handy, in this case. On the other hand, do you need some practice using the Arduino? Then it might be a reasonable basis for this project.

Good luck with your project.

Ted

TheStigP11GT

Jul 26, 2012
Cheers for the Info mate, I am going to try and make this Programmer using the Lancos diagrams, The reason I am wanting it for this specific EEPROM is due to it being used as a specific chip inside the ECU of Nissan's, I am a big part of the Nissan Community but I want to do some things different and do some modification.

I did post a message up on the Arduino forums, but never got a response, as I would like to use an Arduino.

TheStigP11GT

Jul 26, 2012
Right, I finally started to make the programmer, I am waiting on new parts though. I still need a LM2936Z-5 and I am waiting on 100nf Capacitors to arrive, I was at Maplins today and the only bloody capacitors they did not have was 100nf.

I have drafted the 93C46 diagram onto the same protoboard as the base programmer.

I would have had it finished but the bloody Soldering iron tip seems to get very dirty despite the damp sponge, I end up having to wait till it cools down every 20 mins and rub the end down. Bloody annoying!

I made a bit of a James Hunt of the DB9 connector, so I need to order a new one, The reason i goosed it was thanks to the bloody tip!!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Right, I finally started to make the programmer, I am waiting on new parts though. I still need a LM2936Z-5 and I am waiting on 100nf Capacitors to arrive, I was at Maplins today and the only bloody capacitors they did not have was 100nf.

I bet they had 0.1 uF though.

I would have had it finished but the bloody Soldering iron tip seems to get very dirty despite the damp sponge, I end up having to wait till it cools down every 20 mins and rub the end down. Bloody annoying!

The idea is to do it while the iron is hot. Wipe wipe sizzle sizzle, all clean.

I made a bit of a James Hunt of the DB9 connector, so I need to order a new one, The reason i goosed it was thanks to the bloody tip!!

Size is important, the James Hunt may prefer something smaller.

TheStigP11GT

Jul 26, 2012
I was wiping when the iron was hot, I am wondering if they are just crap tips to be honest!