Maker Pro
Maker Pro

9v Battery mystery

Robin lander

Oct 14, 2017
Hello. Firstly I have to point out that I am not an electrical engineer, or even particularly interested in electronics, but I have a particular query that I thought members of a group like this could help me with.
I own a caravan and it is fitted with a thing called a motor mover. This is a device that moves the caravan wheels, and helps manouver it. It is operated by a remote control, so it is like a massive remote control car.
Today remote was indicating that the 9v battery that powers it needs replacing. Now this is the thing, I have tried four brand new batteries right out of their packaging and not one of them will power up the remote. If I put the original back in, then it will power up (green light) and then flash red lights to indicate low power. All the new batteries are alkaline like the original. I have tried standard and pro power.
I will be calling the units manufacturer on Monday.
Cheers

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Measure the battery voltage (disconnected) and also when it is connected IN circuit.

Some battery chemistries don't deliver a true 9V - many are 8.7V or something equally silly and the circuitry in the controller may be set for a certain type of battery. Whilst they may all be labelled as 'alkaline' there are usually differences between manufacturers that could cause this effect.

This all assumes, of course, that there isn't a real fault with the unit!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
There are many brands and types.

Do you have more details or better still a photo or 2?