Maker Pro
Maker Pro

a adapter from a candlestick light switch to a 2 gang/channel light switch. (More info in description)

SimonHelpsUsEver

Nov 6, 2022
I recently bought a 2 gang/channel Smart Light Switch Sonoff T3EU2C. I wanted to replace my old non-smart light switch but it turned out that the non-smart one was using the candlestick method while the smart one was using the two channel method. Is there any kind of a adapter to it so I don't have to relpace my already existing instalation? I would be happy if you would leave a link to buy it. Thanks in advance.

John Canon

Jun 1, 2022
I am not sure what a candlestick switch is, but Batman used a switch inside a small statue to open his BatCave.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Lighting circuits may use a single-pole switch in the live feed line to the pendant (ceiling) light - a common situation in many households. This means that, at the wall switch, there is no NEUTRAL supply connection. LIVE comes down from the lighting cable, passes through the switch contacts and goes back to the light itself - the neutral is connected to the other side of the light.

Those SONOS devices require a live AND neutral for power and if your wiring doesn't include this then your only option is to run a neutral wire back from the ceiling fitting (where the main lighting circuit cable will be terminated). There is no other way around this problem.

If your cable to the light switch is run in trunking then you could attach a 3-core (plus earth) to the existing two-core and pull it back up the trunking to the ceiling connection. This will give you the live and neutral the SONOS device requires plus the 'switched live' output that goes to the light itself.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I would imagine as this appears to be some kind of wireless device, that a relay would be added to the light fixture. If this is the case and the existing switch position only contains active and switchwire, the switchwire could be reconnected at the light fixture to the neutral. No requirement to " draw in" any additional cabling.
BUT...and a big BUT......get a lecky to do it for you as the wiring at the light fitting will definitely confuse the hell out of you and you will end up blowing fuses/tripping breakers left right and centre. Been a lecky for over 50 years and never seen a successful attempt by a dilutie yet.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
appears to be some kind of wireless device,
It is..... and the switchplate incorporates a built-in relay to power the load/light so the requirement for a live, neutral AND load (output) at the switchplate can't be overcome.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Are you sure...??
Not much point in it being a wireless device if you have to hard wire....or is the switch itself operated by a remote control....very little info to go by is always a poor posting.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
After looking at the detail in the pdf provided, I pretty much stand by what I originally said.
It is a very iffy description but from the English version it says the wifi relay is in the light fixture.
Doesn,t appear to be any mention of the switch unit unless that first device is meant to be the switch unit, in which case, as I said before which was, if mains supply required to power the remote, re-connect the existing sw wire as a neutral.
Cheers...

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
the wifi relay is in the light fixture.
I disagree.
The Sonof TX is a series of "Wifi smart wall touch" switches. It is meant to replace the wall switch. The manual also states "The installation height of less than 2 m is recommended. " which pretty much excludes a mounting point on the ceiling.
The receiver requires "L" and "N" and will not work with a typical 2-wire switch configuration as explained by @kellys_eye in post #3.
My guess is that the 2-wire configuration is what the op refers to as "candlestick".

I do not know any "adapter" that could be employed here. You'll have to replace the 2-wire installation by a 3-wire installation to feed neutral to the switchbox.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
English instruction diagram 3 clearly states " light fixture wiring diagram".......hat off to all those that can interpret chinglish.....under your view, I cannot see where the wireless component would come in given it,s ( according to you) requiring hard wiring.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
All we need to know is that the diagram shows live and neutral going to the light plate as per the snapshot below. There is no neutral at most light switches therefore the device cannot be installed unless provision for such is made. Note, the image shown is the 2C unit that can control two separate lights (otherwise all else remains the same).

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-11-08 08-37-11.png
    Screenshot from 2022-11-08 08-37-11.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 1