Maker Pro
Maker Pro

A couple questions

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
I feel like im on here all the time haha. Im learning to "walk before i run" so i had an idea for a small project. A motion alarm system. Triggered by someone entering a room. I think a PIR sensor would work. Heres my question...i want the alarm to be a speaker but more like an alarm clock tone. Would a 555 timer ic be useful here?
Also im not sure how possible this is but i would like to store the times the alarm goes off. Come to think of it an off /reset switch might be a good thing too. But my main concern is the basic circuit. Im also torn between using a dc power supply or a battery. What are your thoughts?

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
i would like to store the times the alarm goes off.
You were ok up to this point, but storing a string of 6-digit numbers means a memory array of some kind. For small projects that usually means a PIC, AVR, Arduino, or some other small microcontroller (uC). What is your skill set with programmable devices?

ak

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
You were ok up to this point, but storing a string of 6-digit numbers means a memory array of some kind. For small projects that usually means a PIC, AVR, Arduino, or some other small microcontroller (uC). What is your skill set with programmable devices?

ak
Not as much as i would like. Im a quick study though i started looking into it last night. Yeah i thought it was a stretch to be able to store it. Oh well im starting with a small alarm circuit i saw.

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
I have an "SD Shield 3.0" for my Arduino uno (Chinese knock off thereof). Used in conjunction with a clock shield and a PIR sensor to write a file to the SD card whenever the sensor detects movement.

Whole thing should cost about $20, depending upon where you buy the parts. Finding a proper BOX for these things is the hardest and often most expensive part of the project.