Maker Pro
Maker Pro

A simple way to make an oscillator+amplifier+antenna circuit for very low frequencies?

Tobe

Mar 19, 2017
I'm a newbie in electronics and I want to drive a square loop antenna with very low (between 100 Hz and maybe 20 KHz) frequencies. I stuied much of BJT configurations (common collector etc.) and oscillator design (Colpitts, RC phase shifter etc.) but still I lack the skills to build a decent osc+amp+antenna circuit.

So I thought, for such low frequencies I could go for a simple speaker. Cut one of its wires (one that goes into the speaker coil) and solder a square antenna in between. Then plug into PC and with some software I could drive the antenna with sine or square waves of audio frequencies (up to 20 kHZ?).

Would this work? Do I need to care about the speakers "ohm" value? How could I calculate the peak-to-peak voltage and current through the antenna then?

Or is there any other method you would suggest?

Any help would be appreciated.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Why?
How large a loop?
What power level do you want?

Yes, the ohm value is important.

ak

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
At 100Hz, an optimal antenna will be about 750km high. A ground plane of about 2 million square kilometers should be sufficient.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
An inductive loop only works if you are inside the loop or very close to it. A lot of power is required to push lots of current through the loop. I would use thick wires and put enough turns on to get 4Ω or so. Using some power to drive a speaker complicates the calculations and wastes transmitter power.

Tobe

Mar 19, 2017
2 million square kilometers you say... Sorry that I didn't give a clear description of the purpose. I'm not aiming for far field transmission and thus an ideal antenna is not necessary here.

The loop will be a 0.2*0.2 m^2 square. Maybe it was a misconception to call it an "antenna". I only meant that it would be transmitting circularly polarized EM waves though not efficiently (it will be "electrically small"). According to here (http://www.physicspages.com/2013/04/11/magnetic-field-of-square-current-loop/) and here (http://www.angelfire.com/planet/sft_accommodation/new_page_1.htm) , I calculated that I would be able to induce voltages of about 0.5 mV to 1 mV to an identical reciever square loop with about a 7 or 8 meters distance between them, if I could drive the loop with about 1 amps peak-to-peak AC (Wİth Faraday's law of induction and other equations from the links).

Tobe

Mar 19, 2017
An inductive loop only works if you are inside the loop or very close to it. A lot of power is required to push lots of current through the loop. I would use thick wires and put enough turns on to get 4Ω or so. Using some power to drive a speaker complicates the calculations and wastes transmitter power.
I wanted to build a RC phase shift oscillator and feed the output into a common collector amp which would drive a low impedance square loop. But I was lacking the understanding and knowledge to match their impedances so I settled for an inefficient speaker driven loop instead.

Tobe

Mar 19, 2017
Why?
How large a loop?
What power level do you want?

Yes, the ohm value is important.

ak
Loop is a 0.2 x 0.2meters square. The power I want depends on the impedance of the loopI suppose which would be very low with a thick wire and very low frequencies. I just need to run an AC of 1 or 2 Amps peak-to-peak through a square loop with audio frequencies. Without starting a fire or blowing things, that would be all.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I have old wire data so I have to convert to SI leading to possible errors.
16SWG (approx 16AWG) 0.064 inch. 7.463Ω/1000yd
or 8.16E-3Ω/m
To get 4Ω need 490m or 613 turns.
1V (RMS) will give 0.25A so get 153 ampere.turns.
Drive it with a small audio amplifier.
The inductance may be a problem, audio loops for the deaf are often driven with amplifiers with current feedback or use higher powers with a series resistor.

For a pick-up aerial a higher impedance would be easier to match so use many more turns of thinner wire. A transistor could be considered to have an input impedance of the order of 1kΩ