Maker Pro
Maker Pro

***A stupid question maybe?! --- When you purchase a microcontroller

Henri17

Jan 16, 2017
No, it's not JTAG. The PICKIT3 (or any other Microchip ICSP programming device) communicates using a simple proprietary protocol with a small dedicated hardware block inside the PIC which performs the actual programming.

In any case, that's not a detail you need to be concerned with.

I see then in case of need I will bug you later on! As for Arduino I found out that I need a ISP programmer or I need to use a secondary one!

http://www.tinyosshop.com/index.php?route=information/news&news_id=37

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Ok here is the question: while using ICSP. Did you use another complete system with PIC to program your own PIC? In other words in order to program an In-System chip we do so. Right? (with SMD not DIP chip)
No just use the pickit3 to load the application pgm directly to Pic memory via the ICSP.
I usually install a ICSP socket or the location for it on all final PCB's, this allows new firmware to be added without removing the Pic.
Otherwise I use a development board that such as the Picdem2 boards.
M.

Henri17

Jan 16, 2017
No just use the pickit3 to load the application pgm directly to Pic memory via the ICSP.
I usually install a ICSP socket or the location for it on all final PCB's, this allows new firmware to be added without removing the Pic.
Otherwise I use a development board that such as the Picdem2 boards.
M.
Oh I see, just like the way that our friend explained above!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ok cool! Firmware-wise, would you please tell me, what equipment did you use to load the bootstrap to your micro? Did you use a programmer or you used ISP pins of another Arduino to flash the Atmega?

First time I used an Arduino exactly like it shows on that page. These days I use a cheap interface from USB to the 6 pin header. Most of these have a 10 pin interface but the are small adapters from that to the 6 pin interface.

You also need to get the right firmware that has the appropriate settings for the internal clock, and set up the Arduino software development environment so it knows what you're using. I think that page has most of the instructions, although it did (from memory) require a bit of googling to find all the details.

Henri17

Jan 16, 2017
First time I used an Arduino exactly like it shows on that page. These days I use a cheap interface from USB to the 6 pin header. Most of these have a 10 pin interface but the are small adapters from that to the 6 pin interface.

You also need to get the right firmware that has the appropriate settings for the internal clock, and set up the Arduino software development environment so it knows what you're using. I think that page has most of the instructions, although it did (from memory) require a bit of googling to find all the details.

To start I am going to purchase electronic parts like: Atmega328p, Crystal, Voltage Regulator, Capacitors, resistors, LEDs and so on to make my own version of arduino on a Perfboard. Then, I try to get it work to understand the whole design!

How does this sound?