Maker Pro
Maker Pro

A tricky audio issue. Please help!

steve123

Jan 24, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have a bit of a problem and I have taken some time to look into a fix but have come up without any solutions:confused:. Before I give up I was thinking there might be a chance that some smart individual out there might be able to figure something out.

So heres the deal. I am recording my playstation 3 gameplay with a device called an Elgato video game capture device. This device allows you to record your voice if you are talking to other players through a headset (with the use of some cables). The Elgato basically records everything to my laptop while I play. Keep in mind the headset is connected to the ps3 not the computer. Heres my problem. Because I have a sony wireless headset (connected to ps3 through bluetooth usb) I'm not able to do this. The elgato website says that you need a wired headset to record your video game chat.

I would really like to know if there is some sort of work around that I am un aware of. Perhaps some other cables or usb device. Here is the elgato page that explains which headsets will work.

http://support.elgato.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=4539

Notice that where it says Sony Wireless headset it says "This headset uses a special USB wireless adapter, that connects to the PS3. Due to this fact, no audio can be received by Elgato Game Capture HD. It will not work."

I think this should explain my issue in a good amount of detail but if any more info is needed just let me know. Perhaps there is no work around to this issue but I figured I would take one last shot in the dark and see if anyone out there might be able to solve this puzzle of mine.

Thanks in advance!
-Steve

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
2 options that I can think of...

1) get a wired headset, connect it to the device and just make sure its close enough to you that it will pick you up while you use the bluetooth headset

2)get a secondary microphone that will record right to your laptop while you are playing, if you want the audio of other people talking to you, change the settings so that the voices come through your TV as well as your headset. this will be a little awkward to play with for a while, but it should be doable.

Trying to make something that runs off of bluetooth that would be able to decrypt the playstation encryption record it, then re-encrypt it and send it out again would be very difficult, if not impossible.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
This may not help, but you're looking for ideas.
1) check some PS3 chat/web-sites to see what others have done to solve your problem,
you can be sure you're not the first.
2) Radio shack used to sell some wireless headsets and transmitters cheap, but I
don't know if they still do. I've got a couple old ones from them that cost me about
$20 maybe 10 years ago. One is IR LED and the other is RF.
Maybe somebody has something available specifically for your components on the market
already(?)