Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Abbreviations

G

Grey

Jan 1, 1970
0
Can anyone define these abbreviations for me?

ATM in video transmission
FFT
EPR in radio

Thanks

Graham
 
D

dude

Jan 1, 1970
0
Grey said:
Can anyone define these abbreviations for me?

ATM in video transmission

ATM is Asynchronous Transfer Mode. It uses a different structure for its
packet sizes and service levels. ATM isn't just for video and it is one of
the technologies that saved the Internet. If you look at some diagrams of
the Internet you can usually see the infamous ATM cloud where traffic goes
in then gets shifted around according the ATM protocol. It is capable of
handling a lot more traffic more efficiently then traditional TCP/IP...
Internet backbones use ATM...


Not sure on the other stuff though... :)
 
V

Vexator

Jan 1, 1970
0
FFT is Fast Fourier Transform. It is an efficient algorithm to compute the
DFT.
 
B

Bob Masta

Jan 1, 1970
0
FFT is Fast Fourier Transform. It is an efficient algorithm to compute the
DFT.

For more info about FFTs, you might want to check my series
of articles on "Gut-Level Fourier Transforms - Everything You
Need, You Got In High School" at
www,daqarta.com/author.htm
Also a slightly different presentation of the same material at
www.daqarta.com/0t0ifft1.htm

Hope this helps!


Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
 
C

CFoley1064

Jan 1, 1970
0
Subject: Abbreviations
From: "Grey" [email protected]
Date: 9/5/2004 4:16 AM Central Daylight Time
Message-id: <[email protected]>

Can anyone define these abbreviations for me?

ATM in video transmission
FFT
EPR in radio

Thanks

Graham

You've already got ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) and FFT(Fast Fourier
Transform) from other posts. EPR in radio means Experimental Packet Radio.
Google is your friend. Look up these acronyms followed by the words spelled
out, and enjoy.

Good luck
Chris
 
B

Bob Myers

Jan 1, 1970
0
CFoley1064 said:
You've already got ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) and FFT(Fast Fourier
Transform) from other posts. EPR in radio means Experimental Packet Radio.
Google is your friend. Look up these acronyms followed by the words spelled
out, and enjoy.

I have to wonder, though, if that was a typo and was
SUPPOSED to be ERP, for Effective Radiated Power...

Bob M.
 
G

Glenn Gundlach

Jan 1, 1970
0
Bob Myers said:
I have to wonder, though, if that was a typo and was
SUPPOSED to be ERP, for Effective Radiated Power...

Bob M.
And there lies the problem with acronyms. In film to video, EPR is
Electronic Pin Regisration. Seems every field just has to have a way
to exclude people by using jargon. You sure that isn't an Automatic
Teller Machine or maybe an Anti Transistor Moron, you know the guy
with the toobz?
GG
 
R

Rich Grise

Jan 1, 1970
0
Glenn said:
And there lies the problem with acronyms. In film to video, EPR is
Electronic Pin Regisration. Seems every field just has to have a way
to exclude people by using jargon. You sure that isn't an Automatic
Teller Machine or maybe an Anti Transistor Moron, you know the guy
with the toobz?
GG

Well, we know it's not the box they get cash out of - that's an
automatic teller machine machine. ;-)
 
T

Tim Auton

Jan 1, 1970
0
Rich Grise said:
Glenn Gundlach wrote: [snippety-snip]
And there lies the problem with acronyms. In film to video, EPR is
Electronic Pin Regisration. Seems every field just has to have a way
to exclude people by using jargon. You sure that isn't an Automatic
Teller Machine or maybe an Anti Transistor Moron, you know the guy
with the toobz?
GG

Well, we know it's not the box they get cash out of - that's an
automatic teller machine machine. ;-)

No it's not, it's a 'cash machine' :)

It's those bleedin' colonials with their ATMs, VCRs and SUVs that are
causing all this trouble... ;-)


Tim
 

Similar threads

C
Replies
26
Views
1K
Ross Herbert
R
B
Replies
10
Views
1K
Watson A.Name \Watt Sun - the Dark Remover\
W
J
Replies
6
Views
3K
Ian Stirling
I
Top