Maker Pro
Maker Pro

AC Adapter Help

lazyj

Dec 12, 2017
Hello,

I am from the U.S. but have a device that uses the below ac adapter with a foot switch to turn the device on and off. The cord broke and they do not sell the part anymore and dont want to have to buy a whole new device. Can someone let me know the best way to replace the existing parts. Its basically an ac adapter (European) with a foot switch. Since its European and a 230v I had to plug it into the converter which is shown on the left of the pic. The converter still works so just need to figure out the power cord and foot switch part.

Will this work, buy a foot switch cord. Then plug the converter (shown on left) into the foot switch. Then buy a European ac adapter power supply cord to plug into the converter. Please let me know what is the best way of doing this and where to buy the parts.

Photo below. Another close up photo of the ac adapter is also below:
upload_2017-12-12_14-59-33.png

upload_2017-12-12_15-5-50.png

Thanks for any help.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
It looks to me to be a plug/socket/voltage adaptor followed by a 230V to 24V transformer and a switch.
I would get a US wall wart with 24V AC output and connect the output through the switch.

What is it driving? Perhaps a 24V DC supply could be used which would give an extra option.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Show us a picture of the broken 'cord' and how it is terminated at each end.

lazyj

Dec 12, 2017
It looks to me to be a plug/socket/voltage adaptor followed by a 230V to 24V transformer and a switch.
I would get a US wall wart with 24V AC output and connect the output through the switch.

What is it driving? Perhaps a 24V DC supply could be used which would give an extra option.

Would I be able to use a US wall wart or would I need to buy a euro one so I can still plug it into the converter?

lazyj

Dec 12, 2017
If it is only the cord, could you just fix the cord?

I did see part of the cord wire exposed so I'm going to try to fix that but I dont really know how to replace the entire wire. I'll have to learn more about that if I go that route.

lazyj

Dec 12, 2017
Show us a picture of the broken 'cord' and how it is terminated at each end.

I probably didnt word things so clearly. The ac adapter that has a cord connected to the foot switch basically no longer works. Its not terminated or cut at each end. One end is the euro plug with a cord/wires that leads to one side of the foot switch. Then the other side of the foot switch leads to the end of the ac adapter which I'm holding on the pic.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Would I be able to use a US wall wart or would I need to buy a euro one so I can still plug it into the converter?
If you use a US wall wart then you do not need the voltage converter. Buy a US wall wart that is 24VAC/7.2VA or 300mA or more with the same output connector as the Euro one. Notice that the hole in the connector comes in two sizes so get the same one.
Connect the foot switch to the output of the US adapter if you want.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
What does that connector that you are holding plug into?
What is the 'device'?

lazyj

Dec 12, 2017
If you use a US wall wart then you do not need the voltage converter. Buy a US wall wart that is 24VAC/7.2VA or 300mA or more with the same output connector as the Euro one. Notice that the hole in the connector comes in two sizes so get the same one.
Connect the foot switch to the output of the US adapter if you want.

Do you know where I can buy the part you are speaking of online. I went to a couple electric parts wholesalers near me and they dont carry the part you mentioned. Can you recommend an online store to buy the wall wart and a foot switch to handle 24v.

Thanks

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
ANY electronics parts distributor sells wall warts that are really called "AC/DC desktop, wall adapters". Digikey lists 7991 of them and you select voltages, current and connector.

Digikey stocks two inexpensive "Foot Switch, gadget gizmos" that come with a cable.

lazyj

Dec 12, 2017
ANY electronics parts distributor sells wall warts that are really called "AC/DC desktop, wall adapters". Digikey lists 7991 of them and you select voltages, current and connector.

Digikey stocks two inexpensive "Foot Switch, gadget gizmos" that come with a cable.

Hi Audioguru. Thanks for all the advice. As far as the foot switch, is there certain specs needed. The tech at Digikey didnt know too much about them. I found one online that is 13 amps/125V/1625 watts extension cord with foot switch. Would the specs on this foot switch handle the power from AC adapter.

As far as the AC adapter, here are the specs of the one I found at Digikey. Their tech said it should be fine as long as the cord is the right size which I still have to figure out. 24V 50W AC/DC External Desktop (Class I) Adapter Cord Input. Part # 102-4331-ND

Thanks

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The adapter is 7.2W or 50W. The switch is good for up to 1625W. Don't you think it will survive?

The original adapter produced 24VAC but the Digikey one produces DC which is completely wrong. You need 24VAC at 7.2W but 10W will be fine. It must have the correct connector and polarity.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Polarity of AC? Then it must point to the direction of the country it was made in.:)