Maker Pro
Maker Pro

AC motor question

LS2729

Feb 25, 2023
I acquired a dryer motor from a Samsung dryer recently. All I got was the motor without switches. Nothing but three wires coming from the winding(s). Red, white and blue. They are all connected somehow. My multimeter measured .006 ohms between the red and blue wires. Between the white and red it was .003. Between white and blue it was .003 as well. I've wired a few dc motors but I have no experience with ac motors. I can get the motor to run but haven't figured out the secret to make it reverse when I want it to. With neutral (white) from the outlet attached to the white wire on the motor, switching power between red and blue will reverse it sometimes and sometimes not. What did I do wrong?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Edit:....(most likely)It will require a capacitor to start and run.
If you have the model, one can possibly look up a basic motor connection diagram and from there which cabling arrangement for forward and reverse.
Many dryers will run both directions (via switching) during the drying cycle.
Value of the capacitor will probably be in the range of 5 to 7 uF and look something like this below.

As for the windings and your readings, Red and Blue would be both windings in series.
Blue to White would be one winding and Red to White would be the other winding.
So White is the common or neutral wire.
Then the cap connects (usually) across the Red and Blue.
This makes one winding a start and the other a run and depending on where one places the active supply ( to the Red or to the Blue) as to which way the motor runs (normally).

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

bidrohini

Feb 1, 2023
Is there any way to find out the motor's model number? I think it will be helpful if you find the datasheet.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Appears that motor has a left hand threaded shaft, often not reversed in the actual application due to the unthreading action.
If the windings are equal however, it should be electrically reversible.

LS2729

Feb 25, 2023
Appears that motor has a left hand threaded shaft, often not reversed in the actual application due to the unthreading action.
If the windings are equal however, it should be electrically reversible.
I built a target retrieval system for the shooting range on our property. I've been powering it with a cordless drill. I would like to use a mounted motor instead. It has to be able to be reversed electrically though. My son brought this motor to me.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
So if you intend using the threaded version, then you will need to lock-nut it or ?

LS2729

Feb 25, 2023
Unfortunately the threads had been cut off at some point. I plan to use the pulley end.