Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Activating Carbon for conductivity.

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
I put on my stove top a potatos worth of potato slices and chunks, and emmersed it in the flame for about 3 hours, I took it off too early, got 0 conductance, so I put it in a metal wire seive, and then I cooked it a bit more, got it glowing, but I fricken burnt myself on the finger, so best be careful when your dealing with metal next to fire.), and I got last time I checked it was ~13 kilohms at about 1cm apart. (about twice as good as tap water.)

Heres a pic:
carbonpaint.png

It appears grey because it is mixed with white paint.

Maybe it would be fun making copious amounts of this stuff, you might be able to get $20 a kilo but probably only if it was really good quality. (Not like this stuff.)

Have u guys ever done this or have any tips for me? (If you dont mind.)

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
Correction:: when it finally dried properly its twice as BAD as tapwater. it was about 34 kiloohms at a cm apart. (on a good bit..) So the water was actually helping it conduct, not the other way around, or something happened as it dried?? (That it pulled apart from itself?)

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Carbon rods from the centre of batteries? - used them for carbon arcs. Might be ok to take a file to one. Maybe start with a big battery?
Sorry? What's the aim?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Have you tested the conductivity of artists' charcoal sticks?

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
I actually havent, I wonder if they make sure its conductive for quality anyway. Be interesting to see if they do that.