Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Actuator adaptor circuit

TheReelMuhcoy

Aug 13, 2012
Hey there guys, I joined this board in hopes to find someone who would be able to help me out with some compensation in return. I hope I am not overstepping the bounds of the board. If I am please let me know and I will gladly stand down.

I am looking to use an actuator to controll a VGT turbo on a diesel engine. I am replacing the original turbo with another turbo which uses a different mechanical actuation system. so what I need to do is adapt the signal coming from the PCM (powertrain controll module) to the new actuator. I am thinking this actuator would work well http://www.motionsystems.com/85615-85616.php

I'm sure there are loads of variables that need to be known prior to design, but is anyone here able/willing to assist me (with compensation)?

So I hooked up some extended leads from the VGT solenoid and exercised the engine. The output from the PCM is as follows 1.26V commands the veins wide open, 7.15V commands the veins totally closed.

That being said it seems as though I need an actuator with a potentiometer: http://www.motionsystems.com/potentiometer-option.php

Would anyone be willing to design me a circuit and PCB to do as I need? I thought i could send the PCB out to be made and I can assemble it myself.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Since throw length of the actuator and tuning the throw to the signal is likely going to have to be done when installed it's almost certainly in your best interest to find someone local... It will probably simplify things to use the new turbos existing actuator and do a conversion of the signal from the PCM to whatever the new turbos actuator expects... That means figuring out both systems but it will almost certainly be more reliable than starting from scratch with a hacked actuator...

TheReelMuhcoy

Aug 13, 2012
I was thinking if a rheostat could be put in somewhere to help dial it in and then replace with a corresponding resistor? Honestly I cannot find anyone local that would be able to do what I am looking for. Anyone here in NJ?

PS the actuator company can make the actuator in any length so I may not need to have to "dial it in" if the length of the actuator is the same length of the throw of the actuator. Also the existing actuator on the new turbo has a buss signal that controls it which is sent from the PCM based on data collected from a bunch of different sensors.

Last edited:

TheReelMuhcoy

Aug 13, 2012
Hey, you suggest I find someone local, but I am struggling to find anyone capable of the work I need who isn't looking to charge me $100K. Would you be able to give me some guidance to find someone capable? I am willing to pay, just not tens of thousands of dollars...

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I would help but I don't have time to develop something like this right now (and probably won't for a few months), and I would really like to have hands on to verify all the stuff before I jumped into a project like this, thus my recommendation for someone local...

Either way I don't know what you expect to pay but yeah custom stuff like this done 'properly' and 'professionally' is going to cost... Shouldn't cost $100K but I can easily see it costing several thousand...