Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Adaptor replacement for Belkin router

dajjorg

Nov 26, 2013
hello,

I have a Belkin router for my wi-fi. A large metal object recently fell to the ground next to the router and unfortunately severed the router's power adaptor cord into 2 pieces. The router's power adaptor has the following info on it:

"Belkin, Switching Adapter
Input: 100v-120V ~ 50/60Hz 0.3A
Output: +12V---- 1A"

Having an old portable hard drive which I no longer use, I tried to see if the power adaptor for the old hard drive would work for the router. It did, and thankfully I have wireless again now. The info on the old hard drive's power adaptor reads:

"Ktec AC ADAPTOR
INPUT: 100-240V~ 50/60Hz, 35-42VA, 0.6A
OUTPUT: 12V------ 1.5A"

My questions are two-fold. First off, will using an adaptor not originally designed for the router, but which still works for the router, damage the router in the long run? And if so, and you recommend getting a replacement adaptor, then what are the chances Belkin will send me a replacement (v.s. me having to buy a new adaptor)?

Much thanks for the help....

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi ya
welcome to the forums )

that PSU will be OK
as long as it has the same or better current rating it will work

Dave

dajjorg

Nov 26, 2013
Hi ya
welcome to the forums )

that PSU will be OK
as long as it has the same or better current rating it will work

Dave

Dave,

Much thanks. Which part of that text defines what the current rating/ampacity is? "Input"? "Output"?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
the output ratings

12V 1A ( 12V 1.5A)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Which part of that text defines what the current rating/ampacity is? "Input"? "Output"?

Output.

And as the replacement is higher, that's fine.

The other considerations are whether the adapter physically fits, and if it does, is the polarity correct.

Look for something on the potential replacement power supply as well as the old one or the router which looks like this:

220px-Centre-positive.svg.png

That diagram indicates "center positive" and is the case with about 90% of all equipment and adapter.

Make sure that any such symbol on the replacement adapter matches either the old adapter or the router.

Any questions, please ask because an error with this might mean that your Belkin router is damaged.