Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Adding an audio output to an old answering machine

PeterC

Jan 28, 2015
I have a bunch of old microcassette tapes that I'd like to digitize. (Old messages from my deceased parents so they are important to save for my sentimental self). Nobody makes microcassette players anymore and good working old ones are expensive but I have an old answering machine that uses them but it has no earphone or audio output jack. Is this as simple as connecting a jack to the speaker wires or do I need to be concerned with impedance or such things? (I don't have much knowledge of electronics but I'm good with a soldering iron). Once I have an audio output, I know what to do from there as I've done it with lots of standard sized cassettes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Potentially, taping a microphone directly to the speaker and feeding it to your laptop/desktop/whatever would be easier.

ivak245

Jun 11, 2021
Put a 1k resistor across the speaker output, and use this as your audio input.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
If it's the speaker, remember when you use a different speaker to match the impedance to the old one. You can attach earphones to speaker outputs, but it doesn't always work, like if the output circuit is damaged or the earphone is broke. Good luck! Sentiment seems to be a major factor in the art of electronic discussion!!