Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Adding aux input to Sony PMC-202 stereo system

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Does it have to be a 5 contact 3.5mm stereo jack I can only find ones with 4 contacts locally, and this one: http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/553-jack-socket-stereo-switched-t-214j.html
Yes, it needs to have five contacts.

That one is a 6.35 mm (1/4") socket, which is probably bigger than you want. The information on the sales page and the catalogue page is not enough for me to tell for sure whether it will work, but I think it only has four terminals, so it wouldn't work.

The only five-terminal socket Farnell have is http://cpc.farnell.com/rean/rj5vm/1-4-trs-jack-vertical-pcb/dp/CN19633 but again that's a 1/4" socket, probably larger than you want.
This is very much a learning project for me more than anything, can anybody tell me what the purpose of the caps - what do they do to audio signal? Deliver it in one burst to the PreAmp?
They are "DC blocking" caps. They are needed because different parts of the circuit have different DC levels, and you need all of the connections at the socket to have no DC level on them. The two caps, and the four resistors, ensure this.
Yes, those are good.

mg3np1

Nov 11, 2014
Hi,

I was attempting to take my hifi apart to give the main board to a friend but decided against it mid-project and put it back together.

Now all I have is a dimly lit power/standby LED, no LCD nothing :(, the problem connector for me to get back in for was step 8 on page 6 which is a ribbon to the control board from what I can see. - 22pin ffc

Could it just be that this connector is not seated correctly? or have I have inadvertently done damage some where else, and canned my hifi oops

heres the service manual from the above post

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bx3szq6ux4lc4y9/sony_pmc-202.pdf?dl=0

Dont mean to be a hassle :)

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Make sure you didn't forget to plug anything back in. Also make sure the FFC is around the right way.

mg3np1

Nov 11, 2014
Hi KrisBlueNZ/Everyone,

Hope you all had a nice Chirstmas -Happy New Year!

Sorry to open this thread again but Ive had another idea on how to addd an AUX socket - this hifi has developed a Cd tracking issue I think, but I need an O-scope to look into it but thats a topic for another thread perhaps.

Can anyone see the pic below and tell me that circle (red) is where the cd audio comes into the main board for Pre/Main Amping?

Is it possibe to hook a 3.5mm socket using jumper wire to the 3 pins of the 8 pin header shown, even better is possible to add a 3 pole switch/rocket by removing the 3 wires from the header adding a 1x 3 wago terminator - one for each of the 3 wires L/R/GND

Would this idea work in principle?

Cheers

mg3np1

Attachments

• cdaudio.png
    cdaudio.png
    303.4 KB · Views: 108
  • cd aux idea.pdf
    22 KB · Views: 91