Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Adding bigger battery to eBike tracker

Henk-maker

Sep 28, 2022
Hi,

I am a real beginner at electronics so excuse me if my questions are to simple :).

I want to add a bigger battery to my eBike tracker.

The ebike battery provides 12v only when it is switched on (so when I am riding it) When it does not move for some time it switches off. The tracker then stays live for about 5 hours which is to little. It has a 3,7v 60 mAh Lippo and I want it to be 3.7V 1500 mAh Lipo. The problem is that I am afraid that the tracker cannot load such a much bigger battery fast enough. So I want to add a seperate load circuit.

I attached a drawing of my idea.

My questions are:

- Could I just ( after removing the old battery) connect the new battery to the tracker AND conect the new loader with 500mAh load parallel to the same battery? The tracker loads with about 50mAh. So without the relay in the drawing which is NC (open when the new loader has power, closed when the eBike is off).

-If the relay is better can this be done with a solidstate relay? Which?. The ones I found are all NO (normaly open) which is just wrong.

-tracker ebike.jpg

garyroe

Oct 5, 2023
The recommended battery size falls within the range of 48V and 300Wh – 500Wh. Should you require a high-capacity battery for extended bike rides, you may wish to consider options exceeding 750Wh. It's imperative to acknowledge that, while such batteries offer improved speed and performance on inclines, they may not be the most judicious choice for your daily commuting requirements due to their accelerated power depletion

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The problem is that I am afraid that the tracker cannot load such a much bigger battery fast enough. So I want to add a seperate load circuit.
Have no idea what you are trying to convey here.........cannot load such a much bigger battery fast enough, make no sense.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
cannot load such a much bigger battery fast enough, make no sense.
Possibly a problem of the language barrier: I think "load" is an unfortunate translation from "laden". The correct term here is "charge".