Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Adding LED lights to Kid Battery powerd Ride-on

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
No, you can run a single wire to a connector for both regulators.
And the same for the negative side. Otherwise you will be running 4 wires instead of two. Keep it simple and less materials needed too.
Let me edit this in five minutes with a picture..

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I actually cannot find anything suitable.
But depending on what the connections are from the regulators, you can daisy chain them.

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Nice one Alec,
I am still updating LTSpice. Only 9.5mb to go.
I couldn't find switches or regulators or even plain boxes for me to label.

Martin

mgcfc

Sep 24, 2015
here's a similar one with a digital display working. once switched on the power is cut after the specified amount of time.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
When you say connectors do you mean a simple block connector?
Yes, or the connector that is already on one of the regulators. You may be able to get two wires in the same connector to link 'daisy chain' to the other regulator.

You can use a timer like that too.
But if your son is happily playing, do you really want " Dad lights gone off" every 10 or 15 mins.?
Your battery is probaly 7ah to 12ah or more. It will last all day with the lights on!
Or a couple of weeks if your son only plays for half hour a day.

Martin

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I couldn't find switches or regulators or even plain boxes for me to label.
I just used the LTspice 'Edit/Draw' tool, having first set the line style to continuous and unticked the 'Tools/Drafting options/Orthogonal snap wires' tick-box.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Thanks Alec.
Let me try that. I'll send you a file to see if mine is working the same as yours.
EDIT: I managed to import your 'fuse' the wire jumper.
Martin

mgcfc

Sep 24, 2015
Yes, or the connector that is already on one of the regulators. You may be able to get two wires in the same connector to link 'daisy chain' to the other regulator.

You can use a timer like that too.
But if your son is happily playing, do you really want " Dad lights gone off" every 10 or 15 mins.?
Your battery is probaly 7ah to 12ah or more. It will last all day with the lights on!
Or a couple of weeks if your son only plays for half hour a day.

Martin
I was thinking more like a 1 hour, long enough not to be annoying but short enough to save the battery.

If the lights are switched on by the switch then the power is cut by the relay how do you reset it, would switching the manual switch off and on do it?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I would have thought the switch would re-activate the timer. But I have never used one to be sure.

That centre pot seems to be a battery charge indicator. The unit also charges batteries too.

Martin

mgcfc

Sep 24, 2015
I ordered a timer relay to give it a go. I noticed some models had a reset button and the description seemed to say that the relay could only be reset using the button, I went for the model without in the hope it will reset automatically with the power switch. Worth a try for £2.50!

mgcfc

Sep 24, 2015
Ok just as an update I ordered all the components for the project except the battery and all have arrived. The tractor is still a couple of weeks away but I'm going to put together the circuit to make sure all works well.

I ordered two regulators but they have arrived joined to each other. There is a slight mark on the board between them but not to the extent I would be confident of just snapping one from the other. What is the best way of separating the boards in this situation?

Tinker Unique

Dec 1, 2014
Tractor Supply, and others, have LED "utility lights" that are good for farm equipment. ANY auto supply may have the LED lights that get used as clearance lights on trucks and trailers, and they have the "utility lights" truckers use behind the cab so they can see for hooking up the trailer at night.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Sorry mgChelseaFootballClub.Am I wrong?
Only just got a reminder on your project because Tinker Bell replied.
I am sure my response is too late and you have already cut them.!!
It isn't rocket science, just cut/separate the best way you can!. Dremel, hacksaw, Stanley knife etc.
Have you got any updates on your 'toy tracktor' lighting? Great project for your son by the way!.
Oops, sorry @Tinker Unique Just saw your name properly.

Martin

mgcfc

Sep 24, 2015
Definitely wrong Martin - I'm a Liverpool supporter!

Haven't really progressed anything this past week as work has been mental. The tractor has arrived so I've had a quick look at space for mounting the extra battery. I had also bought some lens and holders for the LEDs but they are going to be too big so I've ordered some mirror tape to cover the inside of the headlights and help reflect the light out.

I've borrowed my uncle soldering iron so might get a change to put the circuit together in small scale this weekend to try everything out.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Great looking forward to an update!! You could have used kitchen foil smoothed and glued for the reflector.

If it's Mi***** ? Co****** What is FC? Surely it should be LFC?

EDIT: I would put the fuse first, then the switch etc.

Martin

mgcfc

Sep 24, 2015
Ok a quick update, I did some testing with the circuit just using one regulator and all seemed ok apart from being unable to get the switch to work.
The other issue I have is the battery; I bought a 12V 7Ah battery to run the circuit but it won't fit into the spare space under the bonnet of the tractor, in fact the only 12V battery that would fit is very small Ah and I would be constantly charging it.

I picked up a 6V 7Ah battery this morning which will fit perfectly but I'm going to have to change the configuration slightly and run the front lights in two strings of two in parallel off one regulator and the red tail lights off the other regulator as they require a lower voltage. If the 6V isn't enough to turn the LEDs on I'll have to get a Boost regulator.

Back to the switch - as I said couldn't get the switch to work when I was doing the testing. I've since watched some videos on wiring this type of illuminated rocker switch and there are 3 pins on the back; a positive, an accessory and a ground. So trying to work this into the circuit diagram above I assume I connect the wire from the fuse (if I flip the switch and the fuse as Martin suggested) to the positive pin the connect the accessory pin to the In+ connection on the regulators. If this is correct I'm unsure what I do about the ground pin - do I connect it into the line going back to the negative terminal on the battery?