Maker Pro
Adding new components to LTSPICE

Adding new components to LTSPICE

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Harald Kapp submitted a new resource:

Adding new components to LTSPICE - add models and subcircuits from other sources

1.1.Adding a new model to the LTSPICE library (example: BCX70K)
First you need to get a suitable model. Models are supplied by many manufacturers, we will use the one from NXP. Save the model as text file somewhere, it doesn't matter where as long as you can remember the place :)
Next we insert the model into the fitting LTSPICE library (Note that the NXP model description is "QBCX70K", not BCX70K). Since the BCX70k is a Bipolar Junction Transistor, the correct library is...

Read more about this resource...

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
Hello Harald!

I was having some trouble figuring out how to add components to LTspice. Do you mind if I ask here, or would you like me to start a new tread?

Thanks for your time!!! :)
Dan

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Hello Dan,
it's o.k. here, you may not be the only one having trouble and what we find out may help others, too.

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
OK, thanks Harald! :)

Now I'm trying to add a LM2901 and a LM2902 to it (op-amps). I found a Pspice model for the LM2901 here and the LM2902 here. Will Pspice models work with LTspice? Or do I need something else?

Thanks again!! :)
Dan

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
At a first glance these models look like standard SPICE models. I'm not aware of any PSPICE specialties. These are subcircuits, so you need to use the "Adding a new component (subcircuit) to the LTSPICE library (example: SIOV varistor)" part of my ressource. Give it a try. Any feedback is welcome.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I had some spare moments and could use the supplied SPICE models in LTSPICE without problem.
Note that these comparators have an open drain output. You will need a pull-up resistor to the positive supply for operation.

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
Hey Harald!

I had some spare moments and could use the supplied SPICE models in LTSPICE without problem.
OK, cool! I just hope I can do it too. :)

Note that these comparators have an open drain output. You will need a pull-up resistor to the positive supply for operation.
OK, no probs.

Just so you know I am 100% new to this LTspice stuff... So if you don't mind, I'm going to need you to walk me through each step. But I will try to do as much as I can myself, to safe you some time.:)

Harald Kapp (from the resource) said:
First you need a model of the component in the form of a SPICE subcircuit with fitting parameters.
OK, I have got that with the Pspice file right?

Many manufacturers supply that information for free on the Internet. For this example I will use the SIOV SPICE library from EPCOS
What do you mean by library? Do I need something more then just the Pspice file?

Thanks for helping me figure this out! I'm really thankful.:)
Dan

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
OK, I have got that with the Pspice file right?
The files you linked are plain SPICE files, not PSPICE specific. They work fine for me.

What do you mean by library?
A library is nothing more than a collection of SPICE models (or subcircuits) in one single file. SInce the links point to files with just one model within, this file is a "library" with just one element.

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
Hey Harald!

The files you linked are plain SPICE files, not PSPICE specific. They work fine for me.
OK, I will just start calling them SPICE files then. :)

A library is nothing more than a collection of SPICE models (or subcircuits) in one single file. SInce the links point to files with just one model within, this file is a "library" with just one element.
Ohhhh OK, I think I get it now.

One last thing before I move on: when I downloaded the SPICE model from ST semi it saved itself as a .txt file on my computer. Can I use a .txt file for the model in LTspice, or do I need to convert it to something else?

Thanks again!! :)
Dan

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
.txt is fine - as it is plain text.
If you like and find it useful, you can rename it to .lib (for example).

By the way: Did you know that by opening a SPICE source file (.txt or .lib, it doesn't matter) in LTSPICE, you get the bonus of a little bit of syntax highlioghting?

Supercap2F

Mar 22, 2014
Well after reading your resource a couple more times and doing some googling, I was able to get the models working very good in LTspice. :)

Thanks Harald! You really helped me out a lot. :)
Dan

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
self running joule thief +additional power.. I do not have the resurces to build this skematic in this Circuit wizard project ,,
,the circuit wizard file project is in the link down to video
Keep this up and your going to get yourself banned on any forum you visit.
You not offering anything to the original poster. Your simply spamming a video

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Thanks for sharing this invaluable resource, Harald.
As a new user of LT-Spice XVII and Diptrace, I was about to start flooding the forum with questions. Now I can first browse the resource to raise my "CAD IQ" a bit.
I see exciting potential for future simulation / design once more literate.... :)
Clive.