Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Adding wireless remote to Mini DVR

Alexp121

Jul 12, 2012
Hi everyone,
I do a bit of motoX so I purchased a cheap mini DVR to strap to my helmet
The problem is i have to stop and pull off the helmet when I want to start and stop recording..
What I would like to do is add a wireless remote to the circuit, I was thinking RF or Bluetooth,
That way I could either use a small remote or my phone to start and stop it.

I've been looking for the cheapest/smallest rf module online but I have come up short.
They all seem quite bulky and use a lot of power.
Could someone point me in the right direction please,
If Rf isn't the most appropriate solution please correct me..
Would greatly appreciate it!

(this is the mini dvr: http://bit.ly/LMAbQb)

Thanks
A

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Probably best just to extend the existing buttons with wire to a keypad at the base of the helmet that you can easily access...

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Probably best just to extend the existing buttons with wire to a keypad at the base of the helmet that you can easily access...

my thoughts exactly ya beat me to it ;)

why make it so complex with the need for additional power supplies etc

Dave

Alexp121

Jul 12, 2012
I am just starting a electronics apprentiship and I guess over-complicating things comes naturally to me at the moment :) Even if it is pointless and not cost effective, I would still love to have wireless remote controls for this little gadget. (just to see if i can do it really) So with that said, what's my best option? A cheap RF module? Any suggestions? EDIT: with something small and cheap like this http://bit.ly/OBoAPc how would I go about wiring it into the existing circuit?

Another side Question on the same topic, If I wanted to extend the amount of video space available (trail rides can go all day) obviously without just upgrading the micro sd, is it possible to add a Bluetooth module and send the video to my iPhone where it is then saved, or even available to view real time? How complex would this be? I've seen a product called looxcie does this for iphone but at a high cost for such low quality video..

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Get a cheap wireless module TX/RX set on Ebay, one with the encoder and decoder built in and interface it to the device... What you linked to does not have the encoder/decoder it's just transmits and sends you need to actually create a signal an 'encoded' signal to send and then receive signal and 'decode' it to do what it's supposed to do... Without the encoding/decoding you won't be able to distinguish between the real signal and just random radio noise...

This is a 2 channel remote combo with the encoder/decoder as well as relays to do the triggering (overkill in this application where a transistor will suffice but just the same they are included), I don't know how many buttons you need or want to have control of...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RF-Wirel...?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item3f18ce1d8e

Alexp121

Jul 12, 2012
Thank you greatly for the info mate, I will do some researching and see what I can whack together ;) (starting out in electronics without any prior knowledge is a little daunting and I know this stuff is basic for most, so I do appreciate the push in the right direction!)

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Wireless is not basic stuff, it's just made easy if you use these cheap Asian modules...