Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ademco 6160 Keypad Blank Screen

Sylvester62

Feb 24, 2020
Hello all,

I have an older security system which needed a new keypad as the number pad was wearing out. I replaced the worn keypad with a newer model that is supposedly compatible. All works fine except the new keypad screen is blank.

The particulars are as follows...

This is a wired system with a battery backup.
The control panel is an Ademco 4110XMP.
Two original keypads are Ademco 6127 (fixed word type) and are both set to the non-addressable mode, address 31 as required by the controller.

I powered down the system as follows...
Removed negative cable from battery
Removed positive cable from battery
Unplugged AC adapter from wall socket.

The new keypad is a Honeywell 6160 (alpha type). It is brand new and came in a sealed box. I connected it exactly as the old one was. Yellow to Data Out, Red to +12v, Black to -12v and Green to Data In.

I powered up by plugging in the AC adapter (left battery unhooked for now).
After a few seconds, I got a ready light at both keypads. Both keypad's number pads were lit up.
The original 6127 fixed word keypad screen had its usual verbage showing but the new 6160 alpha keypad screen was lit up but was blank.

I checked the address of the new keypad by pressing the ##1&3 keys and it displayed the default address of 31.

The system works fine as far as I can tell. I can arm,disarm and enter other commands from either keypad without an issue.

So, does anyone have any suggestions or do you think I got a bad keypad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
It sounds like you did everything you were supposed to do. I assume when you're ready to arm, both keypads are showing a green "READY" light, and after you arm, both KPs show a red "ARMED" light? As far as I know, the 6160 KP should be compatible with your 4110XMP--Ademco (Now owned by Honeywell) has a the industry's best record for making its peripheral devices back-and-cross-compatible. You should have the default Alpha display on your 6160 KP (e.g., "SYSTEM READY", or "ZONE 1 FAULT", etc.

It does sound like you got a bum Keypad.

Sylvester62

Feb 24, 2020
ChosunOne,

Thank you for your reply. Your assumption about the "READY" & "ARMED" lights is correct.

I was wondering if there was something I was supposed to program into either the keypad or controller but have found nothing documented.

I have also come to the conclusion that this must be a bad keypad.

Thanks again for taking the time to assist me.