Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ademco alarm help, LCD is blank

dennismays

Apr 16, 2012
I just bought a home that had an Ademco Vista 15p alarm and see that it was never powered up. It is all wired but when I opened the alarm box, battery was not hooked up, manual, power transformer, telephone wire all in original plastic bags. Box was never powered up

I wired up the power transformer and pugged it in, hook up battery and the house beeped inside, the motion detector came to life with the red light for every movment I made.

The Vista LCD keypad lit up with the back lights, also showed the armed light lit.

NO LCD.

I tried the # * within 50 seconds of power up but got no response. The key pad beebs with every key touch, but nothing happins....

The battery only had 7 volts but when i hooked it up with the alarm box pluged in, I show 12 volts, assume from the power transformer providing the power.

How can I make the alarm system come to life????

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi
welcome to the forums :)

this thread would have probably been better in the repairs section

Steve may move it.

Personally I have no experience with that panel but I have seen that brand mentioned on thos forum a few times and there have been a couple of people that have a working knowledge of them, hopefully they will respond :)
Dave

selanac

Apr 15, 2012
I guess the best answer will come from Googling Ademco's User manual and the Model number.

I've found several User Manuals online and saved me many times. Best of luck. Please let us know what happens.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
If the unit was OEM from an alarm company it might be flashed with proprietary firmware or no firmware at all, this is very common in these house alarm devices so that they can't (at least not without work) be used by the homeowner without paying for the service or used by another company at a later date if the homeowner switches monitoring companies...

selanac

Apr 15, 2012
We had an issue like that at Church. Guess that's why they never called us back.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
We had an issue like that at Church. Guess that's why they never called us back.

We an Brinks security system for awhile at a retail location, we discontinued monitoring service but left the alarm system installed... The door chime was nice and the alarms still worked they just didn't phone the police... Well anyway about 90 days after we cancelled the device either phoned home or had a self destruct built in as the entire system stopped working and the display just flashed to call Brinks Security... Did some research and sure enough they used proprietary software that killed itself once we cancelled service...

selanac

Apr 15, 2012
With that kind of Technology, you wonder why ADT almost went out of business a few years back.

Can you imagine if the Auto Industry did that? If we didn't get the Warranty or renew at the end of the Warranty, the engine just dies.

You're driving down the highway at 70 miles per hour and Poof! Everything stops working.

jmmgmm

Sep 15, 2012
Alarm Parts

It sound to me like the keypad might be defective. If it's Honeywell or Ademco, then they usually carry a long term warranty. Go to a alarm parts company like http://garagedoorremotes.org. They are certified with one of Ademco's distributors and they may be able to get your keypad replaced for free.

Last edited: