Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ademco vista 10-se unable to disarm

aaccardi2

May 20, 2020
alarm system was armed - lost electrical power - when power restored, the alarm is armed- unable to disarm, so, unable to get to programming mode. Disconnect electrical - reconnect- system comes up armed. I'm stuck - any suggestions?

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
I just did a quick google for your problem. In addition to disconnecting the power, there is a battery that should be removed. I would wait a few minutes before restoring power to see if that works.

aaccardi2

May 20, 2020
thanks for your quick response and expertise - the battery was disconnected along with power suppy - waited at least 5 min - then reconnected - panel shows 'd1' which I believe is a sort of wait. Then it comes up armed and I'm unable to press '* and #' keys together. I'm stuck in a catch22. Any more thoughts? Thank you

PETERDECO

Dec 19, 2019
Try emailing the company. There might be a small reset button on the circuit board. I hate to say it but be prepared. The same thing happened in my house. When the power returned, my microwave was toasted. Seems there was a surge when the power went out or when it returned.

aaccardi2

May 20, 2020
Once again - thank you for your patience - I think you may be right - circuit board may be toast. Have a good day

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
I'm guessing your power failure was extensive, i.e., more than a few hours, because your Control Panel apparently depleted its battery; otherwise, it wouldn't have completely powered down. It's normal for an Ademco Vista-10SE to power up Armed, although you have the option in programming to set it to power up Disarmed. I personally set my panels always to power up Disarmed, precisely to avoid the trouble you're experiencing (Data Field *39=0). There are pros and cons to either setting.

If your power outage was less than several hours, then you need to replace your Panel battery. Panel batteries should be replaced every few years under normal circumstances, more often if you have extended power failures.

I assume you're trying to disarm by using your User Code at the keypad. If you're trying to use some other method, this would be the time to mention it. Powering down the system does not affect the code(s) for arming and disarming, nor change anything in the Panel's programming.

Now as to using the simultaneous * and # keys to get into programming: When you power the system back up, plug in the transformer and do NOT reconnect the battery yet. Press * and # together within 50 seconds of powering up, regardless of what is displayed on the keypad. (Pressing * and # simultaneously after 50 sec. initiates a Panic Alarm.) The reason for not plugging in the battery right away is that a very weak/discharged battery can pull down the power supply voltage to below the point that the solid state electronics can work properly, and the Panel can't process the signals from the keypad. Once you get the system disarmed, then you can re-connect the battery and let it charge. And replace it as soon as you can. And let the new battery charge for a few hours before you test it.

If you follow the procedure I describe and the system still won't let you into programming, then get a buddy or a long extension cord. Hold down the * and # buttons while you plug in the system transformer, and that will almost always put you in programming. A "20" should appear in the Keypad display, indicating you're in programming, at Data Field *20.

Once you're in Program Mode, press #20 and the display will scroll out your Installer Code. It displays in a 2-digit format, so ignore leading zeros. For instance, if your Installer Code were 1-2- 3- 4, the display would scroll 01-02-03-04. The code displayed should NOT be the same code you use to Arm and Disarm your system. If it is, then that would explain why you're having this problem. The Installer Code is not intended as a User Code.

Anyway, exit Program Mode by pressing *99, and your system should come up Disarmed. Test your User Code by toggling the CHIME feature on and off (CODE + 9), before you test it to arm and disarm. If the code displayed by #20 was the same code you've been using to Arm and Disarm, then DON'T arm the system until you set yourself a proper User Code. I only mention this possibility because I've seen too many Users make that error, through no fault of their own.
Don't forget to reconnect the battery after you get the system disarmed.

Please post back and let me know how you fare.

aaccardi2

May 20, 2020
ChosunOne- sir, thank you so much for your response - it worked, I am very grateful, and you are indeed - the ChosunOne.
Have a great day, and stay safe.