Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ademco Vista 15 SE alarm panel (pre P series)

Ademco1

Jul 14, 2022
Hi all,
I acquired a alarm panel, Vista 15 SE. I presently have a 1218 FBI panel and use it as a local alarm. My question is does it pay to use the 15SE panel as a upgrade so I can use wireless sensors etc. Is this a good panel to use or go for a vista P series? I don't need many zones so the 6 wired will be fine with the addition of a wireless receiver/sensors. Also I cant seem to find documentation for the !5SE, does anyone know where I can obtain one.
Thanks in advance,
JohnResizerImage540X720.jpg

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
The Ademco (now owned by Honeywell) Vista-15 SE is an excellent choice for an upgrade replacement Panel. Ademco/Honeywell has the alarm industry's best record for making their Control Panels and peripherals back-and-cross compatible. That means if you decide to upgrade again a few years, to a Vista-20P Panel, any peripherals (like keypads and RF Receivers) on the SE will be compatible with the P model.

You didn't mention how many Keypads you have on your XL1218, but you will need to replace it/them for the V-15SE. Keypads are brand-specific, and FBII KPs won't work on Ademco Panels.

You will need at least one 6160 Keypad to program the Panel. An older 6139 KP will work, but I'm wary of buying a KP that old, because KPs have moving parts that wear out, unlike most other peripherals. If you have more than one KP, you can replace them with Honeywell/Ademco 6150 KPs. Make sure your keypad(s) are set at Address 31 (non-addressable mode) before trying to use them in the system.

As I recall, the XL1218 burg zones didn't usually have EOL (End-of-Line) resistors on the burglary zone loops. For the V-15SE Panel, you'll need either to install 2K resistors (I see some in your picture), or program them as "Normally Closed" so they don't need the resistors. The default programming is for 2K EOL Resistors.
That's for burglary zone loops. If you have (a) zone(s) for fire (smoke/heat sensors) or CO (Carbon Monoxide) detection, this would be the time to mention it: EOLRs are absolutely required for those zones.

I see in your picture that the V-15SE Panel has a 2K resistor wired, in the Panel, to Zone 1, on the negative/ground/Lo side of the loop.. That's how I would wire it for a home system. If your application is for a commercial premises, I strongly recommend putting the 2 EOLR at the end of the zone loop, i.e., at the last contact on the door/window/opening of the loop.

EDIT: Almost forgot: I also had trouble find a specific Vista-15SE Installation/Programming manual, but this one is essentially the same wiring and programming for your purposes.
http://www.alarmhow.net/manuals/Ademco/Control Panels/Vista-15/Vista-15 Installation Manual.pdf

Last edited:

Ademco1

Jul 14, 2022
The Ademco (now owned by Honeywell) Vista-15 SE is an excellent choice for an upgrade replacement Panel. Ademco/Honeywell has the alarm industry's best record for making their Control Panels and peripherals back-and-cross compatible. That means if you decide to upgrade again a few years, to a Vista-20P Panel, any peripherals (like keypads and RF Receivers) on the SE will be compatible with the P model.

You didn't mention how many Keypads you have on your XL1218, but you will need to replace it/them for the V-15SE. Keypads are brand-specific, and FBII KPs won't work on Ademco Panels.

You will need at least one 6160 Keypad to program the Panel. An older 6139 KP will work, but I'm wary of buying a KP that old, because KPs have moving parts that wear out, unlike most other peripherals. If you have more than one KP, you can replace them with Honeywell/Ademco 6150 KPs. Make sure your keypad(s) are set at Address 31 (non-addressable mode) before trying to use them in the system.

As I recall, the XL1218 burg zones didn't usually have EOL (End-of-Line) resistors on the burglary zone loops. For the V-15SE Panel, you'll need either to install 2K resistors (I see some in your picture), or program them as "Normally Closed" so they don't need the resistors. The default programming is for 2K EOL Resistors.
That's for burglary zone loops. If you have (a) zone(s) for fire (smoke/heat sensors) or CO (Carbon Monoxide) detection, this would be the time to mention it: EOLRs are absolutely required for those zones.

I see in your picture that the V-15SE Panel has a 2K resistor wired, in the Panel, to Zone 1, on the negative/ground/Lo side of the loop.. That's how I would wire it for a home system. If your application is for a commercial premises, I strongly recommend putting the 2 EOLR at the end of the zone loop, i.e., at the last contact on the door/window/opening of the loop.

EDIT: Almost forgot: I also had trouble find a specific Vista-15SE Installation/Programming manual, but this one is essentially the same wiring and programming for your purposes.
http://www.alarmhow.net/manuals/Ademco/Control Panels/Vista-15/Vista-15 Installation Manual.pdf

Ademco1

Jul 14, 2022
Thank you
ChosunOne
for the fast reply and info. FYI I used to work for FBI till they got taken over by Ademco later by Honeywell. I know my stuff is a bit antiquated for sure. I am glad I happened to come across this site since my jobs and hobbies all center around electronics.

Regards!!

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Glad to hear you're familiar with the equipment. Just one reminder that catches some novices in re the Vista-15SE model: Remember to start your wireless zone numbers at Zone 10 or above.
Zones 1 thru 8 are reserved for on-board hardwired zones ( I know, the 15SE only has 6 on-board zones, so Z7 & Z8 are never used with it), and Zone 9 is a "virtual" zone reserved for global RF Supervision; so all expansion zones, hardwired or wireless, are numbered 10 and above.
I usually start my wireless zones at 32 (for the V-15 SE Panel) and number them backwards (32, 31, 30...etc), to leave room for expansion hardwired zones if I need to add them later; but mostly remember not to try to program a Zone 9: It's already designated in firmware.

Ademco1

Jul 14, 2022
Glad to hear you're familiar with the equipment. Just one reminder that catches some novices in re the Vista-15SE model: Remember to start your wireless zone numbers at Zone 10 or above.
Zones 1 thru 8 are reserved for on-board hardwired zones ( I know, the 15SE only has 6 on-board zones, so Z7 & Z8 are never used with it), and Zone 9 is a "virtual" zone reserved for global RF Supervision; so all expansion zones, hardwired or wireless, are numbered 10 and above.
I usually start my wireless zones at 32 (for the V-15 SE Panel) and number them backwards (32, 31, 30...etc), to leave room for expansion hardwired zones if I need to add them later; but mostly remember not to try to program a Zone 9: It's already designated in firmware.

Wow such detail, I appreciate your help. When I start programming I will certainly keep you input handy ..again thanks