Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ademco Vista Mystery with "Stay" Alarm

masfkb

Nov 13, 2021
I'm having a strange issue with my Ademco Vista (15P/20P) in the house I moved into (system was already there). The system seems to be working fine overall, and it works perfectly when in "AWAY" mode - IE: perimeter zones trigger the alarm instantly, and entry zones give a 15s delay full of beeps as desired before triggering the alarm. But for some reason, when I set the system to "STAY", the entry zones stop triggering the alarm at all. The perimeter zones still trigger the alarm instantly, but I can open the entry zone doors and no alarm (either instant or 15s delay) triggers. A robber could basically waltz right in with no issue. I have poured over the manuals and google and can't find any cases nor settings that would cause this, and I'm totally stumped. Does anyone have a clue as to what could be causing this? Or if there's another way to get the desired behavior I'm looking for, which is: when STAY is set, opening an Entry zone door triggers a ~15s delay (just as if "AWAY" mode was set?)

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Copied and pasted from my reply in doityourself-dot-com,
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/...s/632216-ademco-vista-mystery-stay-alarm.html

After setting the system to Stay, are you waiting out the full Exit Delay before opening the E/E doors? This is a common User error, to set the alarm and immediately open the door, expecting it to initiate an alarm. The Exit Delay is initiated in whatever mode it's Armed. Minimum Exit delay, IINM, is 45 seconds before Entry/Exit doors initiate an Entry Delay sequence in Stay (or immediate alarm in Instant Arm).

The Entry/Exit delays are TWO distinct delays, not one delay applied to two actions. Each is set for Entry or Exit.

BTW, unless it's an older system, the minimum Entry Delay is 30 seconds. That saves a lot of false alarms.

Please post back if my explanation isn't clear.

masfkb

Nov 13, 2021
BINGO - you nailed it! It never occurred to me that there could be a "silent" delay after setting the alarm to STAY (like the audible one for the AWAY setting) where any door openings within that delay window do not trigger. And I guess I never accidentally triggered the alarm yet to observe that. Thanks so much! I thought this would be a tougher nut to crack.