Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Advice cleaning game cartridges without causing corrosion

Recordable2000

Aug 13, 2023
Hello everyone, I have many famiclone (nes clone) cartridges and I want to clean them to a degree where I don't need to constantly clean them with alcohol for them to work. I posted some examples of how they look (the examples are already clean, I have many more to clean). Some of these are very stubborn with years of dirt on them, so cleaning some of them with alchol is ineffective.
============
Now to the point
============
I have determined washing them with baking soda or washing powder in water gives the best results in making the pins look and work brand new. However , I am worried about the long term sideffects of this mettod. If I wash a pcb for around 2-3 minutes each, then blow out the water underneath the chips with a compressed air spray and afterwards dry out the pcb with a hairdryer, would that cause problems after a period of time? My question is would it corrode pins/ traces or damage the chips and epoxy blobs on the board?
============
I'm sorry for my bad english, not a native speaker.

Attachments

• 20240606_180322.jpg
    20240606_180322.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240606_180338.jpg
    20240606_180338.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 3

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Baking soda is okay make a paste out of it there should be no excess water anywhere!That you have to blow out. I use a pencil eraser a "new one" and rub that onto the contacts "vigorously"
this way you will not damage or have any water anywhere. And after that I clean with at least 91% isopropyl alcohol
(Rubbing alcohol) Again!! Do not use anything less than 91% rubbing alcohol.
It should look like the photo below.

1717694075064.png
The reason why you have to reapply alcohol to clean them after you thought they were clean is they were not thoroughly cleaned try the pencil eraser and 99.9% alcohol I only have to clean them once. But even with that said
They will oxidize there's no avoiding that. But that's months later. If you stick those dirty cartridges in your console then you're going to have to open up your console and you don't want to do that.

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
An everyday run-of-the-mill pencil rubber (white one) has been found to be a good tool for cleaning contacts such as this.