Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Advice for a electronics noob on a squarepusher style mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shey Laplanche

Aug 11, 2015
Looking to build a similar thing to this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...Zs8FcdRu7ZD-bImfSntabD7XhBEhBxRE=w470-h313-nc

I don't know much about electronics, but any advice on where I could get a custom curved led panel, or one which I can insert my own RGB LED's in? And something of this LED Density, what Microcontroller should I use? An Adruino? Two? Three? Ten? And I do have Raspberry Pi laying around too. Just any tips at all on the LED Matrix side of this would be extremely appreciated.

Also, I want to program this as you can see in the picture or in any of Squarepushers videos, so, any software suggestions or ways to program it. Maybe set it up like an EQ?

Like I said, ANY advice appreciated :) thanks guys!

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Hows about posting a link that we are actually allowed to visit? Yours throws this "403" error.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Broken Link. Do you mean something like this?
where I could get a custom curved led panel
As you say: it's custom made. You can't buy it off the shelf. You'd have to built the curved mask and populate it with LEDs.
what Microcontroller should I use?
A single arduino will imho suffice.
Just any tips at all on the LED Matrix side of this would be extremely appreciated.
Use addressable white LEDs (e.g. as seen here). You can easily cut the strips and re-connect them in the form of a matrix following the curvature of the mask. Libraries for using this kind of LEDs from an Arduino are available. Only 3 wires required to power and control the full length of a strip. You can even easily upgrade to color LEDs (RGB), also requiring only 3 wires. This guy uses them to create a curved display, similar to what you want to design.
Also, I want to program this
Entirely up to you. Easiest to create a fixed pattern or a random pattern (the latter probably looking very distressing). If you were to use it like an EQ, you'll need ardditional hardware like a microfone, a preamplifier and possibly a more powerful arduino processor board to compute the (fast) fourier analysis from the analog input signal.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
thread closed....

Hop responded to a 5 yr old thread ;)
and @Harald Kapp took it even further ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.